Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBC tanks

IBC tanks

I was wondering if any of my central florida friends know or have access to 275 or 300 gallons IBC tanks. I am contemplating the idea on making a CHOP system which utilizes only one pump.

Re: IBC tanks

I have seen these being sold for a lot less than $100, but here you go: http://orlando.craigslist.org/grd/1946820588.html

Take a look. There is one in my city for $75, I may have to grab one since it's down the street! LOL
    http://daytona.craigslist.org/search...inAsk=&maxAsk=
    http://orlando.craigslist.org/search...inAsk=&maxAsk=

just bought one (275 gallons) from craiglist for $50.00 dollars....not bad at all

Be sure you know what was in it before you got it. Often they are used for pesticides or herbicides and would harm your fish & plants.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

I was thinking about that also, this one had vegetable oil, about 2 gallons on the bottom....I still need to clean it really though

Wow Sam, you got a food grade for $50....

Do they have more....?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by samtheman
    just bought one (275 gallons) from craiglist for $50.00 dollars....not bad at all
    Awesome! Did you talk him down or was that the asking price? I wanted to try this kind of system, but my design concept was quickly inflated by my aspirations for a commercial-sized aquaponic system.

He only had two for sale and I bought the last one, and that was the asking price ... to get it to my screen porch is been a nightmare. The plastic tank I had to bring it through my other living room double doors, then through the hallway with a 1/4 clearance and my wife screaming "don't scratch the walls" Now the frame is too wide to go through the hallway ....Now my plan is to remove part of the screen in my porch, bring the frame in and close it back up without my wife calling 911

In my job they have some 275 IBC tanks with bio diesel almost 1/2 way empty, I don't know if they can be use for aquaponics but in a month from now it will be empty.

Quote Originally Posted by samtheman
    In my job they have some 275 IBC tanks with bio diesel almost 1/2 way empty, I don't know if they can be use for aquaponics but in a month from now it will be empty.
    Not unless it's pure veg oil. Typically, there are carcinogenic chemicals mixed in as thinners or some form of stabilizer.

I may have found some that don't cost too much......they have FLOURIDE in them. I was told they will rinse them out. (they are trying to save/use the flouride)

...What do you guys think....?....will they rinse (pressure wash) clean and be 'safe' to use ???
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan