Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STEAM Power

STEAM Power

Yep, you read that right. I know steam power has been making a comeback in recent years, but has anyone tried or? By the end of the year I plan to build a small turbine powered by steam, which will be powered by either fuel pellets made in the backyard or a Fresnel lens. Using fire instead of a magnified beam of sun would work well to heat a greenhouse in the winter and it would increase CO2, which can be eaten up by the plants (studies have shown that plants grow bigger and faster at 5x the normal CO2 concentration, but get poisoned much beyond that... If I remember my number correctly anyway).

Members

Re: STEAM Power

Wow this is cool. Can you elaborate I would love to use this in our community development project check out our website and tell me what you think
    www.bengula-project.org

I will update my first post with a simple diagram soon. I checked your website, and I will do what I can to help you.

So, this is one way to do it without having to burn fuel, but it's a lot more complicated if you try to do it on a large scale. It also takes more labor because someone has to come in and adjust the Fresnel lens pretty often.

• Water container is heated to boiling by solar energy or burning something
      Steam goes via a pipe to the steam engine
      Steam engine turns the electric generator
      You have created steam power!

You can also use the mechanical energy from the steam engine directly if you have a need. This way, you lose less energy to conversion and can do more work.

Charcoal or wood are great sources of free renewable fuel. You can even use natural gasses if they are cheap, but this will likely cost more than using electricity from your local electric company.

If you have a lot of local people with not a lot to do, you could set up some bicycles with generators on them. You could then make everyone come in and peddle for 15 minutes to an hour. With enough bicycles, that 1 hour could be enough to charge your battery for the day or the week! There are so many options, but steam power seems to be a good semi-low-tech way to go.

Feel free to ask questions or if I didn't make sense I can try again, LOL

Good luck with that. On paper it looks good, but show me someone that has done it.

For small scale you are much more likely to succeed with a hot air sterling engine. These have been around for over 100 years and are pretty low tech. Pressure steam and turbines are very expensive to build.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Are you looking to build a huge fresnal lens? It will take a lot to produce enough steam to even drive a model airplane sized steam engine. I think you would do much better exploring wood fired engines. I don't know much about this, but this is my guess.

The Stirling engine would be a much more efficient design for use with a limited heat source like a lens. Does not waste all of that heat, and water. It would be very neat to see a system like this in action.

Might think about just using steam or water for supplemental heat. This is very doable, and is a great way to heat a greenhouse. Might not need that in Florida though.

I'm not going to build this. PV solar cells are far better sources for renewable energy. Hydroelectric or wind power would be good too if I had good flowing water or air around. For the most part, it's still way cheaper for me to tap into the grid and pay for that than any alternative energy sources I have researched. The batteries in renewable power arrays are what turn me off to them. Not only are they expensive, they are far worse for the environment than CO2 emissions. Just distill your own ethanol and run a generator off renewable fuels. Biodiesel works too

I believe this would be the easiest system for him in Africa. The fuel source could be harvested locally or byproducts from his aquaponic systems could be used. The steam can be captured and used for drinking water. The steam turbine can be built with minimal tools. I have not seen conversion ratios, but I recall reading that the Sterling engine had trouble creating anywhere as much power as a steam turbine or engine.

"Because the turbine generates rotary motion, it is particularly suited to be used to drive an electrical generator – about 80% of all electricity generation in the world is by use of steam turbines." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_turbine

Quote Originally Posted by McStylee
    Wow this is cool. Can you elaborate I would love to use this in our community development project check out our website and tell me what you think
    http://www.bengula-project.org
    What did you end up doing?

Members

Here is an idea I am working on. Trying to build a magnetic motor that will hook up to the water wheel, turbine, what ever I find that works better. Been tinkering with this for a few months. Maybe one of these days this winter I will get it working.

I'm thinking of charging a few batteries from this system. Just to create it's own power, not running my house or anything from it. Just an air pump, and maybe a water pump. I made a mini hydro electric generator from some crap parts laying around to test the idea. I can get 40 VAC from the tiny model. I think that motor may have been from a dishwasher or something like that. The motor I'm building now is 4 phase, 400 volts. It will be a monster, hopefully will do the job and more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by swamp creek farms
    Here is an idea I am working on. Trying to build a magnetic motor that will hook up to the water wheel, turbine, what ever I find that works better. Been tinkering with this for a few months. Maybe one of these days this winter I will get it working.

I'm thinking of charging a few batteries from this system. Just to create it's own power, not running my house or anything from it. Just an air pump, and maybe a water pump. I made a mini hydro electric generator from some crap parts laying around to test the idea. I can get 40 VAC from the tiny model. I think that motor may have been from a dishwasher or something like that. The motor I'm building now is 4 phase, 400 volts. It will be a monster, hopefully will do the job and more.
    Is this one of those fancy perpetual motion machines I have heard so much of?

From your post I assumed you had a creek or river or something to spin the hydroelectric turbine, but from the picture it looks like you have the turbine in a closed system where the water pumps up then as it falls it spins the turbine. Is this correct?