I can finally say I am out of the aquarium business and into the aquaponics business ........ today I put the last of the Goldies into the fish tank and completely dismantled the equipment in the 10 gallon so I can clean it up in anticipation of hopefully purchasing some Nile Tilapia this spring/summer. I've got enough equipment for one fry tank, but I'll have to outfit another for a second tank, as I want to have (eventually) 3 different kinds ..... Nile, Aureus, and Mossambique - not for crossbreeding, but for purity in the line. If they're crossbred, I won't be able to breed my own, so I'd be having to ship new ones all the time ..... I'd rather breed my own. Years ago, when I was heavily into Tropical Fish, I used to breed Platys, Swordtails, Guppys, Bettas, and Gouramis ...... the latter two are the hardest to breed, but the most graceful of all when courting and breeding ..... all that is to say that I think I will be able to breed Tilapia as well ..... with a little help from Dr. Axelrod, Jack and the Internet

My system is mixed ....... the upper section is like this Clik , but I've modified it some to make it a F&D system, as well it will eventually be about 21 cups instead of 11 .... the extension is my next project, since I've finally got the system the way I want it. Up on top is mostly lettuce and herbs, and maybe a tomato or two..
The second level is two grow-beds about 21"x 15"x 6" which are fed by the bottle system above. They each hold 9 cups with cukes, squash, watermelon, bush-beans, onions and tomatoes. both grow-beds have no-holes drains in them which act somewhat like a F&D system, and which empty directly into the bottom level.
The bottom level is the 50 gallon Rubbermaid Fish Tank with a dozen of the largest Goldfish I could find for under $.50. It will take two years for these to make it to edible size, so that's why my next system will be using Tilapia. I'll be on the lookout for more Goldies every time I go to Billings or Great Falls (The LFS in Lewistown charges $.33 for 12 cent babies and minnows). I figure I should be able to put about 35 to 40 young in there until they are about a year old, then I'll separate them into two or three FT's to grow them to their full size. It will be interesting as time goes on ....... especially during the Winter ! All that, and I'm also going to build some vermicomposting beds, and then take a stab at BSFL. That way I'll be growing food for us, food for the fish, and food for the plants. Waaayyy cool