Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Pump EVER

Members

Re: Best Pump EVER

The pump looks to funky but i think this pump is too much costly for a aquarium. I have a small aquarium and its water capacity is 2500 LT. I have some sharks and i have some more fishes in the aquarium. But i don't have the full knowledge about aquarium. Will some one tell me about it.

I have been looking at this EZ Clone Mag Drive Pump here

http://www.hydrowholesale.com/Submersib ... 00-GPH.asp

You can get it for about $80 on a different site. I cannot however find a wattage usage. Does anyone know how much power this will use?

I am trying to design a small 300 gallon system that would run on 1 kW of solar power using a small battery bank. The system is for a school I teach at part time and they would like to combine their Solar program (that I teach) with a new aquaponics workshop.

Anyway thanks again dudes!!

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    I'm using a cheap $35 intex pump used for their 8' pool. 80 watts and it puts out 10 GPM at 6+ feet. It passes fish poop just fine.
    That sounds perfect, badflash.
    Can you find a model number on that thing?
    Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person
    is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.

UF, I think the problem comes with your idea in the same area farmers have been running into for at least the last generation. Let's look a little more recent at the catfish industry all across the South. As many know that catfish farms are drying up down here, farmers are draining the ponds and planting corn. Thereby reducing domestic grown catfish, and encouraging more imported muddy cats from overseas. Seriously, next time you are at the store go flip a package of frozen fish over and see where it came from. Swai until recently was being marketed as 'catfish' and a suit broke out as this was harming what was left of the US farmer's cat crop. I am getting off topic though.
    The US cat farmer is tilling em in for corn, as corn pays more. Catfish have a very low market now as imports can be done so much cheaper. In aquaculture, regardless of prawn, shrimp, catfish, etc. We lack the means to cost effectively compete with imports. Even though we can prove our fish are healthier, and don't retain the muddy tastes.
    Your chance at making this work, is not through a processing plant, or a broker....and those are rare for this stuff now as they are having a hard time making any money.
    Your best bet is what's called 'farm gate sales', mom and pop diners, and a handfull of smaller restaurants. Your ability to provide a year round, constant and consistant crop is what will make the difference.
    My prawns for instance have a market, at several times what the imports are because I can deliver mine ALIVE. Let's see China do that! This is extremely important as shrimp/prawn meat breaks down very quickly once they are dead, and the delicate flesh loses a lot of it pallatability.

People pay a premium for healthier, fresher, domestic grown. BUT the market isn't big enough at these inflated prices to make a living on by itself, and I am not year round production yet. What's stopping me is the temperatures. I can't sustain constant temps, year round, cost effectively yet.
    This is what has led to my interests with the geothermal that was referance in other threads.

But $4K for my apprenticeship for that, is a bit steap right now when income is dropping all around, and cost of living is going up. So for now, that dream is on the back burner.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

For the money of this pump I have a 2", 220v pump that pushes 57 ft of head pressure. I can pull the specs off it when I get in late if anyone wants them. I paid $199 for it.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

I'm not sure what you mean, but I assume you're talking about the business plan I mentioned. Yes, I looked at the "ethnic market" in my area that would purchase the fish live at wholesale cost. Although there is a profit margin, it just wasn't appealing enough for me given the business model I put together. I since have learned so much about aquaponics I could put together an entirely different business model. Just off the top of my head, it seems like I could triple the profit margin, but I can't be sure unless I write up a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by foodchain
    For the money of this pump I have a 2", 220v pump that pushes 57 ft of head pressure. I can pull the specs off it when I get in late if anyone wants them. I paid $199 for it.
    Do you mention the head pressure because that's related to the flow rate?

When I look at a pump, I look at the watts and flow rate. I look at the maximum head as well and the flow rate vs. height. This pump is rated 3000 GPH @ 5 feet. I wasn't planning on lifting my water more than 5 feet, least of all 50 feet! The more unit volume of water flow I get per unit energy, the more efficient it is, the better the pump in my book.

I'm sure there are better pumps out there now. Also, I think this pump was $150 or thereabouts when I posted it over a year ago.

57 ft is the max head. I would have to check the plate on it for the specs. Don't get me lying, I just don't recall.
    I just checked the link you put up this morning before making my original post...I don't recall now the exact $ amount but I think it was around $240. But I would have to go back and look. It's been a long day and I am burned out. Still got the 2nd job to go to.
    My concern is both head pressure, but also the corresponding flow at the height. Obviously the lower you bring the end of the hose, the less pressure in resistance the faster the water will flow.

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    I'm using a cheap $35 intex pump used for their 8' pool. 80 watts and it puts out 10 GPM at 6+ feet. It passes fish poop just fine.
    Ha ha I was looking for an answer on if this type pump would work thanks. I am building my first system and have an intex 8' pool and was thinking of using it for the fish tank however I don't have room for the pool so am building a tank and thought I could still use the pump. I got the whole pool and pump off craigslist for about $30. Mine says it pumps 530 gallons an hour my tank will probably be somewhere around 500 gallons not sure till I get it built. I take it you are not using the filter that goes in the pump? Are you using anything in place of the filter or just leave it out?

Members

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Hi urbanfarmer, You must be planning on a big system... Could you please start a thread in "A Place To Say Hello" and share what your planning ? Or, even "Backyard Systems", if you've already started. We like pictures too....
    Looking forward to hearing about your progress..
    I'm still researching and writing up the business plan! You can't rush perfection, sheesh! LOL

I'm hoping my system will feed me, my family, and offset my lack of income... I'm in search for some CHEAP land. I just looked at an acre lot that had a natural pond on it. Nothing huge, but it's an easy 1200 pounds of fish or more a year from it with no equipment to buy! That's only like $2000 revenue though; so, I gotta finish planning out the aquafarm design. Tilapia don't seem that lucrative, and finding buyers for the fish and veggies seems like a full-time job in itself. Have you heard of local wholesalers that buy up these items or even food coops that might partner with small timers like us???
    I've also been considering some sort of business plan, I was thinking kinda of a local food production co-op/restaurant/wine&cheese/market/viewing area. I'm down for significant time and money investment if I can find someone that can get through the red tape and expense of "The Peoples Republic of Kommifornia"! Maybe we could call it a "Trade Union" and it will fly through like the fish had wings!