I emailed morningstar and I am awaiting a response.

According to what I have read, good F-1 hybrids grow much faster even pure strain blue tilapia. Some numbers suggest that in 4 months hybrids are about the same size as 6 month blue tilapia. The guy selling breeder colonies here in Orlando won't return my emails, but the seemingly patented or copyright colony he sells boasts the 4-month growth that outperforms even pure strain blues... I'm pretty new to all this, but I assume that if hybrids do grow faster, then a male Blue and a female Nile would generate all male tilapia that would grow to plate size in 4 months. If anyone has PDF's, links, or articles that might shed light on all this feel free to post I am eager to learn!

Also, I do plan to keep separate breeder colonies. In fact, I hope to keep 3 sets of breeder colonies. 1 set to breed more pure strain blue tilapia, 1 set to breed more pure strain nile tilapia, and 1 set to breed the F-1 hybrid fish I plan to eat!

I truly enjoy nature and even simple things like raising the fish indoors in tanks; so, I have no problem caring for the breeders indoors in addition to tending to the outdoor yum-yum fish.