Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bioponics

Members

Re: Bioponics

I emailed Dr. martin Gent and he was kind enough to reply to me. I am taking his word
    for it since he is an expert in his field.
    http://vvv.caes.state.ct.us/Biographies/GentMart.htm

Dear Sir,
    Your probably a busy man I know but can I ask you a question? Is it possible to use
    worm tea or better way for me to say that is "compost tea" made from worm castings
    in a hydroponic system? I hear the microbes die then a slim clogs the pumps and just
    makes a mess of the hydroponic system. But I am so sure and the reason I ask is
    because I have not seen any solid evidence that this is always true since everyone
    makes tea with so many types of different compost.

Anyway thanks ahead of time
    JEFF

His reply:

Dear Jeff,
    You have correctly identified on of the problems with using organic amendments
    in hydroponics systems, namely they can clog pumps and filters. CropKing is
    a commercial supplier http://www.cropking.com/index.shtml?ref=google
    that has done a lot of work to develop systems that can use not-completely-soluble fertilizers.

A more serious problem with organic fertilizers is to get the proper mix of nutrient N-P-K etc.
    You should have your compost tea or worm-casting tea analyzed to see what else
    needs to be added.

Martin Gent
    ""we are what we eat""

Yep, just what I thought. There isn't anything in my tea to plug anything up. I plant to test, but when doing aquaponics, you pick plants to match your nutrients, not the other way around.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Oh, BTW, using fish is using organic amendments, and my tilapia poop is a lot more cruddy than worm tea. We get around that by using course substrate, not sand or vermiculite.

Members

Sorry this is a long one...

I think he is referring to microbes as the problem not the nutrient solution
    itself. I can see the microbes in tea being a problem that is why it is imperitive
    to spray compost tea within 1-2 hours after oxygen is off and brewing is done.

But worms are not brewed? I know that worm tea has bioligy yes but I have seen
    it bottled up sale online and terracycle sells it
    http://www.terracycle.net/main_lawn_garden.htm
    as a "LIQUID NUTRIENT"? So if it is bottled you would think that IF there is microbes
    in that that they would die from lack of oxygen and when you opened it the smell
    would be really bad right? I don't know that is what I am trying to understand.

And if I am not already confused enough here is some
    thoughts to ponder.

This statement about NPK and "proper mix"?
    If you buy a premix nutrient for let's say a hydroponic (expensive too in my view)
    it has the mix already made. I don't debate that since they all use these nutrient
    solutions to run those systems. (I know we are still trying to talk bioponics)

My stubbornness and growing up around old fashion life styles. For example my cousin
    and his sheep farm. We find hundreds of red worms after it rains under these old ply
    wood boards laying out behind barn. This area is real soggy and run off from barn is
    normal because it is lower area than the sheep pens. This water has some real heavy
    duty manure wash off. Anyway we were told that we will not find red worms in those
    conditions because it was toxic and even bad for us since maybe there is "E coli".
    Sure maybe there is some but I am sure there is some at local burger joint too right?

My point is this I guess....My cousin is 45 years old and has been out in this stuff for
    years and years. He grabs worms sometimes with bare hands puts them in his can and
    uses them for his worm bin but he never get's deathly sick. Not only that but those worms
    are strong, red and healthy! They are in direct contact with this run off yet we are
    told this is not good for worms that they can not survive.

We laugh because the grassy field that is even lower below this has an amazing
    lush green pasture and sheep eat it for years and years. The run off goes down
    the hill and acts as a "nutrient solution" as far as we see it. So I think worm tea
    is no different that it is a "natural" nutrient like this run off. We even pondered
    trying an experiment and using that 4 unit hydroponic you all saw in the video.
    We would leave it back there under some cover and plug it in on a timer then use
    that run off from the ground (small amounts) in that 4 unit container with 4
    tomato plants in pea gravel on top and watch what happens. Monitoring the tubes
    for clog and just see what comes of it.

Also I am going to use another one and make "worm tea" and see what that does.
    This will be 2 different setups trying 2 different things.
    ""we are what we eat""

There was a video posted on this site of a fellow using worm tea rather than fish. That is what got me started. "growies" appear in any aquatic system. You just have to account for them and make sure they don't stop the works.

I am sure your experiment will go well. The worm tea I am using is the natural drippings from my bins. I don't ferment it. I've recently been using it to root cuttings and ity works fine. I also see no scum or anthing else.

Members

I am following you, also glad you are doing it because not many people
    are or are not trying this. I was fired up when I saw your post about the
    idea because for some reason this concept has not been talked about much.

So with that said I need to get a worm bin going inside so I can test some things
    out and not only that but I need an "indoor" project for the winters or I go bezerk
    waiting for spring and summer.

I need to go out and get some red worms and bring them home. I think what your
    doing is the way to go too. My goal is going to have a worm bin then a drip pan
    for the worm juices, next I will use small amounts mixed straight into the water.
    Might use one of these small units I have. Any I agree all of this stuff needs tending
    too now and then.

What do you think of that terracycle worm juice? (I bet it works)

UPDATED MARCH 13

I am going for it, heck they sell the stuff all over the place so it must work!
    1. http://www.barerootshydro.com/store/...nts/earthj.htm
    2. http://www.australianhydroponics.com...ydroponics-46/
    3. http://www.australianhydroponics.com...ydroponics-45/
    ""we are what we eat""

Jeff, remember that video you posted "Hydroponic recirculating solar powered system"? He was using worm juice!

Members

really? dude you rock I am going to check it out again

this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2hm5o5NjOs
    ""we are what we eat""

Yep. Check at about playtime 3:50.

Members

yep he is using worm juice alright.

I was out prodding in garden tonight (its just dirt and compost right now) and surprised
    to find a bunch of regular worms so i got about 50. I know these are not red worms yet
    they can hang out with me until Monday when I will get red worms from the farm.

this is going to be interesting, I have made a lot of compost tea but never had any
    worms so I am very excited to try this worm tea.

I take it we just add some worm juice to water? This is not going to be like brewing
    regular compost tea I imagine, no molasses all that fun stuff?
    ""we are what we eat""