Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bioponics

Members

Re: Bioponics

k...but when or if u do this is exciting!
    ""we are what we eat""

Members

Lightbulb moment.... LOL
    I got it, yippee!
    I am really doing something similar without even realizing it...
    I have 2 deep culture tubs that I dont have any fish in, but everytime I clean a filter, and I clean the filters in the tub pond with the tilapia and crays alot, due to the bag of hanging grass and the grass I feed the crays gunks up the filters pretty quickly.
    The lettuces love that stuff, so I guess I will add some worm tea to the mix and see if things really go crazy under those lights
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Members

So we can feed the roots with worm tea?
    If this is all possible and works then this fella is going to be happy camper

Making a video and will post it soon for questions I have for anyone. Maybe some one can
    see something I do not see. For 2 years my cousin and I have been trying to find out if it is possible to use a tea in a hydro system but many have told us that it won't work. I am not so
    sure though since worm tea is not the same as "compost tea", close but not the same.

Sheryl I am trying to start a MEETUP near town and have got some replies. Can I send you
    the link? This is on craigslist so it needs to be updated all the time after it expires but it is free.
    ""we are what we eat""

Members

sure go ahead. I have 2
    http://www.meetup.com/RiversideDogTrainers/
    http://www.meetup.com/sustainable-aquaponics/
    We have 22 members in the aquaponics group but not much participation yet... sigh
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

I saw your video. Just use worm tea with your system.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

First off, let me say that I do know that we are not talking about Aquaponics here....OK? Now then, with that in mind and, yes I can see where this system could suite someone with very limited space, however:-

Worm tea is well known as about the best fertilizer there is. They can produce a lot more of their fertilizer than fish grown in the same space. A worm bin can go through 10 pounds of food a week. That is a lot more than you'd feed fish, so you'll get a lot more nutrients. This is basically just hydroponics with worms as the nutrient source.
    That little statement in RED is where I have to back up...you might be able to use the tea from the worms to grow veggies, sell the worms, sell the worm dirt and the worm tea, but you can't eat any of these items and that’s where the fish come into play.

The whole object of being self-sustaining is to produce as much of your own food as possible without going to the store to pay an outrageous price for possibly contaminated and definitely chemical filled meats etc from the store….FISH..or did I miss something..?

If you go back in my posts, you'll see that I discussed vegans. Not everyone eats meat. If you check the economics of aquaponics, you'll also see that over 2/3rds of the income comes from veggies, not fish.

Don't get me wrong, remember I'm a tilapia breeder. I'm not trying to replace aquaponics, just provide a side avenue to broaden the appeal a little. One of the draw backs to using fish is that some plants need more nutrients than the fish can provide. Using worms will allow for higher concentrations of nutrients than fish can tolerate. Worms may not be something you want to eat, but my tilapia sure do. Worms also sell for $20 a pound, so I can use that money to buy some good feed for the fish.

I am planning on having separate loops in my system. One with fish and one fishless.

Sustainable systems don't run in a straight line. They have lots of branches you need to work with. I like the idea of turning garbage into food.

OK...OK...consider my ass kicked....not a problem..

Members

Did lots of searching online and reading and asking questions. So far the word is that tea can
    not be used in a hydroponic system although we are really talking bioponic system.
    Supposedly bacteria (microbes) end up and die in the water thus they turn to slim
    and the chambers and pump clog the system.

I have yet to see a solid case that proves that though so I am not giving up. That is
    why this thread is here right? To research it?
    ""we are what we eat""

Absolutely. I don't believe that it will cause any more problem than fish though. I plant to dilute it to optimum levels anyway.