Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Bioponics

Members

Re: Bioponics

Quote Originally Posted by mommyhen42
    Lightbulb moment.... LOL
    I got it, yippee!
    I am really doing something similar without even realizing it...
    I have 2 deep culture tubs that I dont have any fish in, but everytime I clean a filter, and I clean the filters in the tub pond with the tilapia and crays alot, due to the bag of hanging grass and the grass I feed the crays gunks up the filters pretty quickly.
    The lettuces love that stuff, so I guess I will add some worm tea to the mix and see if things really go crazy under those lights
    I do something similar as well. I replenish my deep water raft system from the fish tank water which comes from the grow bed that has worms in the grow bed rocks. Then I top off my tank with rain water. The raft plants are growing great although I do provide constant aeration and I have a very small solar pump that circulates the water a couple hours a day if the sun is strong enough.

Regards,
    Bob

Are you all aware of this company? I ordered one of these for my fry to develop.
    http://www.backtotheroots.com

Members

a method that works very well: if you research out adding worms to your drain and fill aquaponics grow bed or biofilter (which is what i would recommend if you are more interested in aquatic plants) and set it up with a bell siphon that can be easily done in a 6" deep tray add the worms and the biofilter can be your sump and the "worm" filtered water would be returned via cascade of some sort for oxygenation into the planted aquarium.
    in another life i prodeuced thousands of discus and usually kept one amazon sword per breeder tank. some of these single swords filled 90gal aquariums. i kept them planted in plastic pots planted in steer manure. id did very frequent water changes that eliminated the buildup of nitrates, minimum 50% every other day

Members

this is a neat idea. I will have to look at it. Thanks for the tips.
    Fish Keeping Gardener

Members

Its very interesting that you have posted about "Bioponics", I think you will definitely do this experiment perfectly and hope to be successful in your project.

organic hydroponic gardening

Won't Vegans consider the tea an animal (worms) byproduct?
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Quote Originally Posted by Roger L.
    Won't Vegans consider the tea an animal (worms) byproduct?
    there will always be a discussion trying to determine at what point you are no longer a vegan. the little white worms on strawberries have been up for discussion with the Jewish community as to whither or not the strawberries are still clean to eat. I am a vegetarian but would certainly not be concerned by small insects. speaking of worms this opens up a whole can of worms that would never be resolved. as far as worm poop, sorry guys there is not a square inch of soil on this planet that the worms, grubs, insects, and microbes didn't produce with poop.

setting aside the inhumane treatment of animals prior to slaughter; a huge percentage of disease in humans is a direct resort of meat eating, both of those reasons are enough to convert a number of people to giving up meat eating.

the answer is a personal one

Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller
    setting aside the inhumane treatment of animals prior to slaughter; a huge percentage of disease in humans is a direct resort of meat eating, both of those reasons are enough to convert a number of people to giving up meat eating.
    the answer is a personal one
    Having chosen to experience a vegatarian lifestyle earlier in my life, I understand the un-natural habitat that has been forced upon animals in commerical livestock operations. That is deffinitely not ok with me and my family. Of course, we are allowed to choose our style of living. The best style of living is always evolving and up to debate. That aside, I have not seen a legitimate, unbiased study showing that meat is a direct cause of a huge percentage of disease in humans. Half truths my be a large factor of why we are experiencing the health conditions that are so wide spread today.

I have a friend, who had lived as a vegatarian for 20+ years. He had a massive heart attack that nearly took his life. He also needed a quadruple bipass because of blockages in his blood vessels.

My theory so far, it is ever evolving, sticks with the theme of AP. I make an effort to source my food as local and as close to the earth as possible. I use the design of the human body as a starting point for nutrition selection.
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.

Members

Genetics appears to be a factor in how foods are processed and how cholesterol is processed by the body. I deal with that all the time. I'll be careful to quote the studies in the future.

Members

How about an update on this thread? How did the tea fed plants work out?