I've just coined the phrase, or so I think. Basically this is the umbrella name of any system that uses living things to produce nutrients that are delivered to plants in a liquid form. Aquaponics is one of the systems that would be included, but this forum is strictly for fish-less systems. I think this has some real potential for vegans and anyone not particularly interested in complications involving fish.

Advantages are that higher nutrient levels can be obtained because fish do not need to live in the water.

Two basics animals will be the trial balloon for my experiments. The red worm, and the black soldier fly. The worms will be more acceptable in a home environment, but the BSF has far more potential, especially used in conjunction with aquaponics.

Here is how I imagine a basic system. A worm bin is set up elevated above a sump. The sump is tied to a conventional fill & drain gravel bed, Nutrient Film Technique (tubes with constant flow and no substrate), or even Deep Water Culture with proper dilution. Feed the worms (or BSF). The tea flows into the sump, and the sump provides nutrients to the plants. The pH of the sump can be adjusted to what ever the needs of the plants are.

Worm or larva harvests can be sold or fed to the aquaponics system. This way your turn garbage into plants and high protein feed. I can envision a neighborhood coop system, sort of like community gardens where people can recycle their food waste and grow wonderful organic food.

Jump in & lets talk about the pros and cons of this idea, and get a few going to see how they work.