Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Members

MY BACKYARD SYSTEM

Hello. New to the site and this is my first post. Here is a low down of my current aquaponics system. I have come along way since the 10 gallon 4 goldfish tank I started with. Did that for awhile then barrel and kiddy pool and now a large tank and grow bed. Had to clean out the media bed a month ago. It had locked up from massive summer growth. Had 5 foot tall Basil trees and massive Roma tomoatoes. Now running with lettuce and Broc. Tilapia are doing great and had a female release 50-75 fry last week. Check out the pics and my attempt at a DIY egg tumbler which is working. Check out my You Tube site (krfoerster) to see how I have grown to where I am today. Getting ready for winter and getting a semilarge greenhouse in 3weeks to really get serious and grow some amazing food. Anyways check it out and give me some feedback. I love it and learn mostly from failing a few times.
    Rockon
    Kenny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I did not go there to die I went there to live. - Sir Edmund Hilary

Members

Re: MY BACKYARD SYSTEM

3 More Pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice setup! Are you running one pump? Are you doing a flood and drain? Where are you located? What kind of soda bottle has a teal lid? Thanks for posting and welcome!!!
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Cool looking system, but please update your info to tell us your location. If you are half way around the world things are different...
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Located in Central Oklahoma south of Norman. I think the bottle I used for the egg tumbler is from a water flavored drink and WalMart. I use one pump and a flood a drain. System works great. The green box thing under the bed is for 2 air pump attached to air stones. I have about 50 tilapia, 3 coy, 7 Comet goldfish, and 2 yellow persch I caught fishing. All are doing great and the perch have grown to almost a pound. Hava had great success with Basil, romaine lettuce, and Roma tomatoes. 3 tomato plants yielded 39 large tomatoes. Basil tree was easy 5 ft tall. All this locked up the bed where I had to clean it out and start over. Greenhouse coming soon. Plans for additional 3 grow beds and a raft bed to come. The next upgrade after greenhouse will have a solar water heater and will be a modifed Chop system. Total setup should be running for under 50 watts. Looking forward to the winter challenge.
    Kenny

Hi Krfoerster....welcome to the forum....

Very nice set up....Looks like you put alot of thought and design into your system. I like the egg tumbler too.

I love your avatar.....it reminds me of a 'certain administrator', when he's kickin' bottoms of spammer's.......
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers.

Watch it David, I'm not that fat however that is a good cape .
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

And I thought you'd like the 'tights' too......
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

David...David...David...when pigs fly....Oh Yes, I forgot, they do in your neck of the woods
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Hi krfoerster....'sorry' for taking over your thread, just trying to have a little fun, much needed in this crazy world !

JCO....OK, OK...no tights. But the big black boots, look like they'd be great for 'stompping' on spamers !