Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Members

Dufflight's System

Members

Re: Hello

Nice pics, thanks .... would you mind pointing out which pic is the swirl filter, and then explaining how a swirl filter works .... many here have probably never heard of a 'swirly', and are just starting up and/or designing their system, so an explanation of how it works would be helpful to all ...... Thanks
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

No picture of a swirl filter there. I'll dig one out. They allow solids to settle but in most AP systems they are not needed as the gb's filter the solids. I use one but its mainly due to the size and stocking of my system. Does make a nice duckweed tank.

Water flows in a circle allowing the solids to settle. Outlet is via a surface pipe that skims the surface. I turn mine around so I can grow duckweed.

This is a smaller one in a 200ltr olive drum.

Its good at removing solids if you want to compost them or add them to a worm farm.

Very nice Dufflight ! ....Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I'm working on building a swirl filter for my system. (not using rocks/hydroton in my GB's)
    I noticed in your picture, of the outside of your larger swirl filter.... you have two (2 inch/50mm) pvc lines ... inlet and outlet perhaps ? Plus, there is a smaller tube, also going into the tank...?....is that an airline ?
    I wouldn't think it would be....as that would stir up the water, when your trying to control the flow so the solids collect in the bottom center.

I just looked at the picture again and noticed that one of the larger pvc lines is not hooked to any thing. Is that water flowing out of it ? So perhaps, the smaller line is your water 'in'...? The 2 larger lines are both outlets...?
    I've lost one of my primary colors in my monitor...makes it tuff to see well. Spending my $ on aquaponics instead of a new monitor
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Wow nice system thanks for the pics!

I wonder where I could find one of those olive barrels in Montana ? Hmmmmmmmm ......
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

The 19mm black pipe is the inlet(5000lpr) One of the 100mm PVC's is the outlet the other is blocked off. This swirl filter was used at an aquafarm on a tank system with 40000 fingerlings. I also bleed off some water to go through the 2 round tanks.

The olive drums are handy. I picked up 4 black ones that were used to transport gherkins in brine. A lot of Ag shops carry them. Cost is $10 to $25. They can't be re-used for original use so there are a few around, all food grade.

Members

Decided to clean out a bit of the swirl filter today. Used a siphon hose to drain from the bottom. It does have a tap for that but its 40mm and the flow comes out too fast.
    I gave away a 10ltr bottle of fish poo and a 20ltr bucket to a mate. And got sick of cleaning after dumping 80ltrs onto the dirt garden. Its raining now so that should wash it in. The half ltr bottles you get in shops say to mix a cap full with 9ltrs of water. Still more in there so I'll keep dumping it on the dirt garden and in with the compost.

Quote Originally Posted by dufflight
    Still more in there so I'll keep dumping it on the dirt garden and in with the compost.
    " Those are going to be some happy plants ! ".....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan