Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Members

Re: Big Al's Greenhouse Build

the last post would'nt take everything so here is another one. we got our first aquaponics
    green pepper on the plant last week finally it's small but it's there.

also my perch are growing very well they were 1"-2" long when we got them they are all but
    a few over 4" long with some over 5" long they are growing like mad.they were put in the tank's
    on july 19th 2010.

i also got some cukes to sprout in my system finally last week also planted sweetcorn, garlic,
    radishes, kolrabi' and dill. they are all sprouted and doing fine so far. i hand pollinated our tomato
    plant's and muskmelon also. hope you all enjoy. i will keep you posted on kid's sport's later Big Al

Members

I envy your setup.
    Im lookin at a backyard setup meself

I'd love to know what percent the solar setup powered

Members

hi texas-liberul, welcome to this site and thank's for the comment's. currently the solar
    is only being used to power the fan that inflates the 2 layers of greenhouse plastic. it takes
    7 days to drain the battery to less than 10 volts with no charge which should be good for our
    long winter's here in northeastern ohio. thank's Big Al

Members

Hi Big Al,

Very impressive setup and nice greenhouse! Your plants look beautiful. Where did you buy the perch and what did they cost?

I also have a few comments/advice/questions about your PV solar kit and the fan. Hope you don't mind. Unlike aquaponics, PV solar is something I have some experience with.

I found the 45w kit available from Harbor Freight currently on sale for $150 at their web store. Seems like an okay buy for low-end PV. This is definitely not a high quality system, but is an inexpensive way to try out PV solar. Not much of a warranty (30 days.) How has this kit worked so far? Is it producing enough power for the fan on cloudy days?

The pulse width modulated (PWM) charge controller is not adjustable for various types of batteries and may be the weakest link in this system. It uses a constant voltage output (and cuttoff) of 14.5VDC, unregulated for temperature, and does not appear to trickle charge as the battery tops off, which could cause outgassing. I would keep a close eye on electrolyte levels. The low power shutoff is non-adjustable and set to 11VDC, which seems too low, IMO, for long battery life. Don't know that I would use it in any power critical application without some kind of backup. An inexpensive replacement might be something like a Mornigstar SunSaver PWM charge controller, or something along that line, for around $50 or less.

Not trying to be critical, but your wooden mounting seems a little flimsy in your first set of pics. Will this be okay for winter wind storms? You may want to consider building a mounting system that would allow you to tilt the array to different angles depending on the season. The proper angle for the PV panels is to set them to your latitude for spring and fall, then raise them 15 degrees for winter, lower them 15 degrees for summer.

Is your fan 12VDC or are you using an inverter with an AC fan? How many watts does the fan draw? If it doesn't have wattage on the nameplate, how many volts and amps? Does the fan run 24/7?

Again, excellent job on a wonderful system. Enjoyed the pics.

G

Members

hi there gosmith, thank's for your comment's the fan is a 12 vdc fan that draw's .22 amp's it run's 24/7 to keep
    the plastic layer's inflated.
    it is just a temporary setup that was cheap at the time. and yes you are right the pwm is pretty chinze. but
    we are currently running main power to the greenhouse so thing's will be changed out soon. we made a diy
    bio-filter setup and installed on friday that is simple cheap and work's great will post pic's in future. working on
    closing up the greenhouse for winter as well as the hen house. hope that anwser's your question's Big Al

Members

Hello everyone, finally slowing down here my daughter didn't qualify for state final's in boy's golf
    so now we can just play for fun. at least for her because she's kicking dad's butt. wow is me.
    been busy in the greenhouse plant production is going good. added some new stuff and so far so
    good here's a few picture's.
    our first tomatoe's the plant is about 6' tall by 6' wide and full of bloosom's

remember that little pepper from last week

here is a patty pan squash planted in memory of our dad (R.I.P.) his favorite.

zucchini zucchini zucchini these are number's 16,17,18, and 19 off of this plant glad there is only 1 plant.

Hi Big Al....lookin good.
    Keep one of those big zucchini 's handy, incase of bear attacks....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Hello everyone, this is post 2 of 2 please check the first one out thank's
    here's some lettuce ready to be picked

we finally got cucumber's to sprout must of been to darn hot all summer

we grow lot's of garlic in dirt 520 head's this year so i thought i'd give it try in aquaponic's

we also planted a early variety of sweet corn that doesn't mind the cold much

sorry this last picture i can't get to turn.
    we've also picked green bean's 4 different time's and need to do it again. hope you all enjoy
    thank's Big Al

Members

Great going Big Al. What is your handicap when you play your daughter?
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1
    When you get to my age you cannot think of something without being reminded of something else.
    George Burns

That's an AMAZING setup Big Al! I have 2 questions if you don't mind:

1) How do you grow the garlic? I tried searching for garlic seeds, but all I came up with was cloves. Do you grow them from seed or is that how the plant reproduces... more cloves? I'm just really confused by the whole thing... LOL

2) Back to the original set up process: How in the world to you get the 2 layers of UV Greenhouse grade plastic to be air tight? I am about to ATTEMPT to build one in the next few months, but I am still trying to figure out this detail!

Thanks for the great posts and pics!