Hello,

Just a few updates since my last post here: Hello Everyone!
Davidstcldfl suggested I start a new post in here.

This coming Saturday will be two weeks since our fish tank has cycled and we added a batch of 20 yellow perch. One died the following day and another one a couple of days after that. However, the remaining 18 are holding steady. Some of these fish are considerably larger than those I purchased two or three months ago from the same group at the fish farm. The first group I purchased were 4 to 6 inch but these are at least 6 to 8 inch or better. That leads me to believe/hope that they will grow out from here at an acceptable rate.

Ammonia and nitrite levels are at or near zero but the nitrate levels are 100 plus. Ph level has been pretty steady at around 6.8 to 7.2 or so. I have not really had to mess with it too much lately. I used some hydroponic ph down that I had left over to get it down to current levels. That was before I added the fish.

As of right now we have a 4’x4’ area seeded out with a variety of lettuce types and one spinach plant. We also rooted some geranium cuttings. They took about 3 weeks to root. Since our nitrate readings have been high I am going to seed the other half of the grow bed this weekend. I think I will start the other half with all lettuce to try to get the nitrates down sooner and then try some other veggies later. Once I get the grow bed in full production that will tell me how many more fish, if any, I can add.

I have been feeding the fish minnows, as I lost patience with trying to get them to eat the dry food. The first week they went through 50 minnows, but yesterday I added 50 more and today there are maybe half a dozen left. Ouch! That’s 6 bucks a pop for 50 minnows. I don’t mind buying them for now but I will definitely have to either raise my own feeder fish or try to get them to eat the dry food again. Should have stuck with the dry food. That’s what they feed them at the fish farm.

Anyway, here are some pics and a video I recorded a few days ago. I’ll post a more recent video soon.

Sorry about the image and video quality (iphone). I hope to get a better camera soon (maybe).

Thanks.