Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Hello im from Philippines

hello everyone im Immanuel and im from philippines. im a student and im very interested about aquaponics now for 5 days. every day i am searching on how to do this for im planing in a big scale system. my problem is that i dont know how would this system works here in the philippines where our weather is very hot and and wet. i already saw a filipino doing this here in philippines but im not sure it work for they havent updated any news about there system, hopefuly they will. i hoping that i would be enlighten here ^_^

Re: Hello im from Philippines

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. Please go to your profile and tell us where you live. There may be some members close by looking to learn from you.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

thanks JCO for that welcome ^_^, and yes im now updating my profile ^_^

Members

hello again ^_^, ahh i have been reading all over the forum and read about rafting. i saw many rafting style, tube [ that plastice tube with holes] and bed style at youtube. im just wondering which is superior about these...

Rafting is with about 12" of water depth in the grow bed at all times with no media. The plants float on a Styrofoam sheet with holes cut in and the plants are usually in a net pot so the roots can hang in the water. As for PVC pipes with holes cut in them, they allow for a lot of heat to be transferred to the water as it transverses from one end to the other even in a greenhouse which can damage the plant's roots. Some people like this method but I prefer the floating raft myself.
    JCO
    so never forget

Welcome to the diy forum!
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Members

ahh JCO? at rafting? will the plant drown? in long term and im very sure at rafting we are very limited on what to plant right?

one more question. about iron. i notice that the common problem i saw o the videos are the plants are turening yellow or the vains of the leaves are showig up coz luck of iron... how do we solve this?

and thanks for the warm welcome ^_^

It is solved by adding small amounts of iron compounds like greenstone or even bloodmeal. They don't need a lot, so it doesn't take much.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

As for what veggies can be grown in a raft system, below is a quote form http://www.uky.edu/Ag/HLA/anderson/raft_veg/intro.htm

I grew a number of garden plants using the RAFTsystem - beets, carrots, cilantro, collards, kohlrabi, lettuce, mustard, parsley, spinach and turnips. I concluded that the "leafy" vegetables did well with this system. However, some root vegetable crops such as beets and turnips did not form the typical swollen root within the "days to maturity" time frame. Radishes and carrots did mature in the time frame. For those root vegetables, who's tops are used for greens, such as beets and turnips, the tops were mature in the days to maturity time frame and could be used.
    And this is a quote from http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...557259356.html

What plants are suitable for raft systems?

clip this post email this post what is this?
    see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by freemangreens 10b San Diego (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 2, 08 at 23:52

Here's the deal: The "raft" has to be buoyant enough to support whatever plant you're growing.

That's not to say you can't be clever. I have grown Beefsteak Tomato plants using a raft, but I immediately supported the plants tying them to small metal chains hanging from my greenhouse roof. If you aerate the water with a little air stone, the roots won't rot and it'll grow like Jack's beans (the Jack and the Beanstalk Jack!)
    All you have to do is do it
    JCO
    so never forget

Members

Welcome to the Forum from a Aquaponics and Greenhouse under construction. IN your climate many things will grow that will die away here in Seattle. You have probably seen Tilapia like warm water.
    There is much to read about here. Use the search option for specific questions, and start a Systems Thread with pictures so we can see it happen.
    Best Wishes,
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1
    When you get to my age you cannot think of something without being reminded of something else.
    George Burns