Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grow Media

Re: Grow Media

David
    The price of rock has a lot to do with transport not really the price of rock it self .
    The kind of ROCK you found might make the plants grow funny and the fish would just want more and more and more
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

Florida is mostly marl, or aragonite. It adds too much calcium and raises pH to around 8, so not a good choice for AP. The cost of rock here was $45 a yard. That is just about 2400# give or take.

Best bet is something that doesn't effect the pH like granite or quartzite. That is what most rounded river pebbles are.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    Florida is mostly marl, or aragonite. It adds too much calcium and raises pH to around 8, so not a good choice for AP. The cost of rock here was $45 a yard. That is just about 2400# give or take.

Best bet is something that doesn't effect the pH like granite or quartzite. That is what most rounded river pebbles are.
    Not here, or in most of the midwest. Our rounded river pebbles tend to be limestone. Must be nice to live in an area, where you could just collect some decent media. Because of our limestone, our local streams and rivers run very similar to my tap water. Tap water 8.3 Local waterways 8.0. I have actually tested them, because of my interest in native US fish. I wanted to know if I was shocking my wild collected specimens by dropping them in my tap water.

Matt
    This was the closest manufacture I could find .
    As small as them states are up there it's prob. closer than my supplier in TX
    http://www.hpbhaydite.com/
    Bad
    I thought of granite as we have a quarry about 25 miles from here and I use decomposed granite for my road base but all I have ever seen come out of that place was slab or the decomposed ,which it way too fine , dusty and packs like cement . So I guess you can have the right kind of rock close ,but not in the right packaging
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

The guys in Hawai'i have the best locally available media, and I hear it's really cheap! They call it cinder, it's basically lava rock without the dye and in the case of the lava rock I buy here, it's also REAL lava rock!

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Hi HotrodMike,
    I haven't checked to see if we have some (being produced) here in central FL...(?)
    Did you find any, sir?