Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Biomass Water Heater

Has anyone ever tried using something like the compost shower http://www.ecofilms.com.au/2010/06/2...-water-shower/ to heat a fish tank through winter.
    I imagine there would be some kind of continuous flow and the water in the pipe would never mix with the fish water, just that the heated water pipe would coil through an insulated (cob?) fish tank.
    Would there be enough heat to maintain water temps through a british winter in a portacabin - so not totally exposed to the elements, just using this kind of set up.
    am loath to use a water heater, but would like to try some warm water fish.

cheers

Re: Biomass Water Heater

It is possible, but for a big fish tank there are issues. You can't put the pile indoors or in a greenhouse due to off-gassing. You'd also need a huge pile, not just a little one like that. You'd have to constantly fuel it too.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

I read about a Canadian greenhouse project where the area under the shelf was a large bin. The bin was loaded and emptied from the outside. The makeup air was from the outside and the gasses were vented to the outside. Takes a large amount of organics. This system is not connected to the water supply. If you pipe the heat away from the compost or composting will cease.
    the temperature was a constant 70 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller
    I read about a Canadian greenhouse project where the area under the shelf was a large bin. The bin was loaded and emptied from the outside. The makeup air was from the outside and the gasses were vented to the outside. Takes a large amount of organics. This system is not connected to the water supply. If you pipe the heat away from the compost or composting will cease.
    the temperature was a constant 70 degrees.
    That's pretty amazing. I am going to try it on a small scale here in FL. Because I know worm bins produce heat, every time I go to mess with mine the first thing I do is stick my hand in the middle of the bin. It is always quite warm to the touch. I can imagine if I made a really large pile, just how warm it would be during the winter compared to the outside.

Members

In your worm bin, there is very little composting taking place, or else it would be a fairly sterile environment, and certainly devoid of worms. The heat produced from a proper compost pile is 140 to 150 degrees. This will kill worms. You are likely only seeing solar gain, or a low temp(non optimal) compost. Now think of the potential with 150 degrees. Problems are constant feeding of the pile, aeration, and the fact that removing heat via a hydronic system, will snowball, and slow the composting, and the heat produced. So, though this is a great technology, it is far from low maintenance.

Well, this is something I have done since I have been keeping worm bins indoors in A/C. The middle of the compost pile is noticeably warmer. It's like running your hand in very warm water, you know it's a lot warmer, but it's not scolding hot. I would guestimate it at about 95 degrees Fahrenheit with an ambient indoor temperature of 75. We are talking about things on a very small scale, and I don't have the background in Biology to even guess at the implications of implementing this design. I think experimental observations may be required

Although I will say this, with a very large system it is clearly possible. However, the feasibility of maintaining such a large system may not be possible, but that would obviously depend on your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    but that would obviously depend on your situation.
    .....and whether your neighbors are wanting to see a big steaming pile of POOH in your back yard...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Well, this is something I have done since I have been keeping worm bins indoors in A/C. The middle of the compost pile is noticeably warmer. It's like running your hand in very warm water, you know it's a lot warmer, but it's not scolding hot. I would guestimate it at about 95 degrees Fahrenheit with an ambient indoor temperature of 75. We are talking about things on a very small scale, and I don't have the background in Biology to even guess at the implications of implementing this design. I think experimental observations may be required

Although I will say this, with a very large system it is clearly possible. However, the feasibility of maintaining such a large system may not be possible, but that would obviously depend on your situation.
    Believe you me, you would not want a hot compost going inside! Every time I turn the piles on my leased cattle ground, My glasses fog up, and the heat about knocks me down, and I am sitting on a tractor moving it with a bucket. Then there is also a bit of smell.
    If you are zoned agricultural, your neighbors might not say a thing. If you are zoned residential, you will probably have a fight on your hands.
    Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great way to heat a greenhouse, just wanted to point out that it is a much bigger undertaking than one might initially think. Look up greenhouse heating calculators. You will be amazed at how many BTU's are required to heat a small greenhouse. Though in Florida, this will be much less than in Ohio. Here it would cost as much to heat my 12 x 24 greenhouse, as it would my home. That's why we are heating both with wood.

Members

this biomas greenhouse heating experiment was done by a university in canada, it maintained the heat in the green house in the 70 degree range in winter. i realize this forum has members from diverse backgrounds and the idea might work for some of us at some point. certainly not in my home in a subdivision in ca.
    i wish i could find the article it was several years ago that i found it on the web, when i built my greenhouse and my electric bill went through the roof, but i couldn't impliment the system. my green house has been an orchid house.
    now i'm trying to figure out how to heat the 1000gal vat i just built in it for aquaponics. 70-75 degrees, if anyone has a ideas would be greatly appreciated. i looking at lenses, solar water systems, can't burn wood in my area, bad air days which happen anytime it is cold. i am considering hydronics putting a circulating pump on the water heater and running a loop through a makeshift radiator. i know the cost of submerseable electric heaters would kill me.

rich

Members

brier,
    i know what you mean about the heat, i have turned my compost pile in the back yard in the evening when the center was glowing embers. i use to have a lab mix that took his job seriously about making compost. boy he could heat that pile up. sure miss that dog.