Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: What's wrong with this ?

Mike. I think what Stucco was/is saying is....he doesn't use the Affnan's......so he doesn't want to mis-lead you on them.
    The (basic) differences between the two bells are....Affnan's 'do not' have a little hose, going to the top, that breaks the suction....standard bells ... "DO"
    Affnan's have a reducer/bushing sitting on the top of the stand pipe. Standard bells...'do not' have that on top of the stand pipe.
    The bushing is the 'key'....something to do with fluid dynamics. Didn't Affnan say he was an fluid engineer (?)
    I don't remember Affnan adding any traps or slightly running his drain up hill, at the end of the run (?) ( Then again, I don't remember what I had for dinner last night either... )

Bell size (?).....what I did is .....I took the size reducer/bushing I wanted to put on top of my stand pipe....and tried different pipe sizes, till I found one it would fit inside of....

You won't look any sillier then the other customers in the pipe dept, at home depot. If an employee asks what your doing/or do you need help...ask him/her if they have an hour, and you'll gladly explain.... I get home a lot quicker using that line....

Drains....You still may be able to use 2 ", by only hooking 2 GB's to a 2 '' drain (the other 2 Gb's to another 2" drain) ...independent of each other.
    The odds of 2 GB's 'kicking off' at one time is slim. You said you 'already have' the 2"

height....Mike, I don't know ,if you said how long the drain 'run' will be....? You only need 1/8 " of fall, for each foot of 'run'. Of course you mentioned the fittings coming out of the Gb's, add up, on the fall, too.
    Wish I could be more help...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Jackolope
    No that makes perfect sense ,but just to be sure let me run it back . You are saying I could gain a bit by entering the tank just below the water level and doing a turn up ( fountain )which would push water up through the water creating aireation or were you saying to come in at water level dip down and come back up ? As for air I am using commercial air membrane not air stones ( hard water eats stones ) and they are rated 4 cfm and are good for a 1/4 ac pond .( I even thought of having a dive Cyl. with one of my old regulators for a power outage back up and use an old UPS ,with bad batteries (( so will replace those with 2-980a car batteries with a solar trickle charger ))
    The bad thing is I can not run a walk way between the 3x6 and need to keep the 6x6 config as thats what I can get in the greenhouse ,till I can expand it .
    No mud and much in my greenhouse as I laid out 3" of decomposed granite . The problem with using scrap wood here in Texas is TERMITES . Any piece of wood making ground contact will have them puppies in it within 3 months . So anything that hits the ground has to be treated or it will be eaten
    I guess since I can not change physics I gotta dig I did find one thing in my tool box that has really helped going through this rock , My air chisel or as I have now renamed it my Pocket Jack Hammer O well what's 10" more in 100 degree weather
    Here are a couple pix of my hole and of the greenhouse
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Mike. I think what Stucco was/is saying is....he doesn't use the Affnan's......so he doesn't want to mis-lead you on them.
    The (basic) differences between the two bells are....Affnan's 'do not' have a little hose, going to the top, that breaks the suction....standard bells ... "DO"
    Affnan's have a reducer/bushing sitting on the top of the stand pipe. Standard bells...'do not' have that on top of the stand pipe.
    The bushing is the 'key'....something to do with fluid dynamics. Didn't Affnan say he was an fluid engineer (?)
    I don't remember Affnan adding any traps or slightly running his drain up hill, at the end of the run (?) ( Then again, I don't remember what I had for dinner last night either... )

Bell size (?).....what I did is .....I took the size reducer/bushing I wanted to put on top of my stand pipe....and tried different pipe sizes, till I found one it would fit inside of....

You won't look any sillier then the other customers in the pipe dept, at home depot. If an employee asks what your doing/or do you need help...ask him/her if they have an hour, and you'll gladly explain.... I get home a lot quicker using that line....

Drains....You still may be able to use 2 ", by only hooking 2 GB's to a 2 '' drain (the other 2 Gb's to another 2" drain) ...independent of each other.
    The odds of 2 GB's 'kicking off' at one time is slim. You said you 'already have' the 2"

height....Mike, I don't know ,if you said how long the drain 'run' will be....? You only need 1/8 " of fall, for each foot of 'run'. Of course you mentioned the fittings coming out of the Gb's, add up, on the fall, too.
    Wish I could be more help...
    I kind of figured that after his comment .
    The distance is not much as you can see in this rough drawing in CAD ( Can't Actually Draw)
    Two runs is very easy even for the distance I could do one for each if I had to.
    Sorry but they dont let me out often so It always take me hours to get back Ahh useing my posts against me
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

Try this one more time ,eat my post.
    Got ahold of Affnan and he said "25mm/1" siphon size I recommend up to 4'x8' growbed, its not a problem with the size you mentioned." So that is good to know . Also on the formula on bells it is 2:1 so a 1"-2" ,1.5-3" etc would work .
    So at least I have these answers now and figured I would post them up for others .
    Well since every time I post a picture of a hole the thread ends Here is the last one as I whacked her down another foot and it's gettin hard to get in and out but a clean out ,knock a high spot or two down drop in some copper tube and sand . Then I can set the tank and start working on the GB's
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

That’s a good lookin greenhouse.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by stucco
    That’s a good lookin greenhouse.
    Thanks Stucco , Not 1/2 big enough but that is always the case with garages and greenhouses The wife was just getting toooooo damn many plants that were sub-tropical and so the house ,garage and porch looked like jungles every winter . Being a fab'er it was the easiest way for me to do one . All 1.25" sq tube and everything is made in sections and each section is bolted to the next . Still a whole lota welding . I did the sections for ease in putting it up ,taking it down or expanding or modding it (each section is 8' ). I think all in all it cost me 700$ and has been up for about 7 years . Damn greenhouse cored plastic has doubled and steel has tripled so would have been better off going big in the begining
    At least the list is getting shorter once greenhouse is big enough all I got left on the list is faster cars as the shop is plenty big and the guns are covered . Well kinda still got the Ol'ladies list
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

Members

Wow HRM,
    Had not seen your "hole" except from your description on another post. I quit digging down at 2 feet when I hit hard pan and expanded laterally.
    Nice to see your pics.
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1
    When you get to my age you cannot think of something without being reminded of something else.
    George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandfound1
    Wow HRM,
    Had not seen your "hole" except from your description on another post. I quit digging down at 2 feet when I hit hard pan and expanded laterally.
    Nice to see your pics.
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1
    O&F
    To be honest it was more oww but I am stubborn and it is done !!! The air chisel seems like a strange tool to use but it saved my butt ,still a big PIA . Told wife that hole was done now we could do the next one ,ah if looks could kill ! Then told her it was just a pump well
    I could not go lateral as my FT is about 6' tall ,plus I am hoping it will help the temps from going too far either way . Right now the lake is at 90 deg and the pool is more like a hot tub
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

Ok I figure I would just keep adding to this post as I get things done .
    As you can see tank is now dropped in the hole and back filled except around where I need to do plumbing . One word of advice ,never let drunks help with large items and if you do Always bring the video cam (which I did not ) Would have made a great Utube
    The second pic it all the wood for the grow beds . I was going with 2x12 but I wanted a full 12" of media so as always I took the complicated route since they dont have 2x14's . I am going to stack two 2x8's glued and doweled. That should give me 14.5" deep beds . Very strange having a auto shop that now smells like a wood shop .This is going to be a PIA as I only have enough clamps to do 1 side at a time then let cure ,plus it's been so damn hot it's real hard to work (yesterday was 107 ). So slow going but still moving forward. Pond liner should be in this week and hopefully I can make some progress .
    I still need to cut out part of the tank top for access and make a cover for that as we have way too many thing walking around that would love a free fish dinner
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

That’s a fancy lookin engine in the background there.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie