Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dave's Phase II

Re: Dave's Phase II

Take a look back at my post from Sept 6th..... This is the growth in a few months. I had to move the sweet tater's, I ended up cutting them almost all the way back. As you see, they didn't mind.

I did buy little plants from the big box store. The tomatoes in the larger media are not growing as fast as the smaller media...

Same tomatoes, from the same 9 pack in the above 2 photos.

In the above shot, the bed that is closest, is the one to receive water first.
    It seems, the plants like the smaller media, which is collecting more pooh/sludge.
    However, I'm thinking ,that the little bit of pooh that is getting past the swirl filter....is flowing right past the beds with the larger media. I wish I would of separated the 2 beds with the larger media.

The smaller media is easier to plant into, whether it's pre-started plants, or adding seeds. I've noticed I get better results from lettuce seeds added to the smaller. Maybe the seeds go too deep into the larger media ?

I did not glue the pipe into the ball valves on the 'grow bed' side of the valves. I change that pipe with different lengths about once a week. It seems to help, especially with the smaller media. That, and I think the worms are helping too. I've been adding banana peels on a regular basis, figuring the worms will help add some potassium, by eating them.

I added 6 pepper plants. I didn't think any were going to make it. 2 did survive and are starting to look pretty good. Maybe, they need more established nutrients, to get started then tomatoes do (?)
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

hi david, thing's are looking very good. nice tomato's i would have to agree with you about
    the pepper's needing to have estabilshed nutrient's. mine took about three month's to really
    take off. while the tomatoes took right off. best wishes Big Al

Members

that's whats nice about florida, you can grow year round. in san jose,ca we started have weather in the 30's last month. tomato plants, chile plants outside are dead. plants in greenhouse are ok, but the cost of raising them in a heated greenhouse is through the roof.

Members

do what will allen from grow power does and put a pile of compost in one of the corners and let that heat the green house
    You are what you eat..... You are also what you think...... so feed your body and your mind.

Thanks BigAl !....

Hi rfeiller....we 'can' grow year round. Some winters are harder (colder) then others. The difficult part is, our temps can change pretty fast.
    For the last week, we've been in the low/mid 80's and the high 60's, low70's at night. (That's a little warmer then normal)

I knew a front was comming from the north, so last night, I covered my fish tank(s) with blankets, covered the sump(s) with insulation and pluged in a couple heaters.
    At 7 this morning, it's 44 F with a 14-15 mph wind....chill factor is 38 F.
    Wow...the humidity is actually under 50%...it's 49%. Don't see that very often.

I know, alot of folks are chuckling at the temps I just gave......I've lived in Fl for 25 years, I feel cold at 75...
    I haven't turned on the heat in the house (it's being used for the fish).....it's only 58 in here, I have on my big fuzzy slippers, a big robe over my clothes and a wool cap. Since I'm at the computer, my cat can't sit in my lap and she is mad... Sure hope it gets up to 65, like they are predicting....

green2go, when I lived up north, you almost never saw snow on a big pile of cow pooh... I wonder if they turn the pile, or just let it sit ?
    I'm sure the size of the pile makes a differance, I wonder how much heat is being produced ?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Unfortunately I live in a subdivision with limited area. Look at my greenhouse pics there is no room. (Rfeiller's greenhouse revamp)

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Thanks BigAl !....

Hi rfeiller....we 'can' grow year round. Some winters are harder (colder) then others. The difficult part is, our temps can change pretty fast.
    For the last week, we've been in the low/mid 80's and the high 60's, low70's at night. (That's a little warmer then normal)
    I have always been jealous of you FLA guys for that reason.

Members

In one of the youtube clips it says 180 deg. from the pile of poo. not sure how much you would need. If you have limited space.... maybe try poo in a metal drum and let the drums heat the green house.
    You are what you eat..... You are also what you think...... so feed your body and your mind.

looks good, I would be curious how much juice those pumps eat

Hi UF, If your asking about the ones I bought a few months back...(?)

The one from home depot....600 gals uses 70 watts
    The one from lowes 2200 gals uses just over 200 watts

Both are called waterfall pumps, rather then pond pumps.
    The 600, that I have ran, doesn't seem to be effected, as much, by small trash. Must be a different impeller design (?)

I do run bigger pipe for the supply, then the discharge of the pump has. For example...if the discharge on the pump is 3/4 inch, I run at least a 1 inch line.
    For turns...I install 2 45's back to back, instead of a hard 90. Yeah, that might be a little overkill...in the long run it'll make a difference.
    I lose pressure, but gain some volume. I don't know if it actually helps reduce the wattage, but it's letting the pump work easier.