Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave's Phase II

Dave's Phase II

Well, I'm doing a little re-working of my system. Actually, it'll be a pretty good size re-do. So I thought I'd start a new thread for it.
    I thought if I started this new post, I'll feel obligated to get some work done... I've got to hurry...our best growing season will be here before I know it.

Here's a few pictuires....just teasers for now..... :P

A pile of pipes....

A big box of fittings....

Here's a start....hmmmm, that trough looks out of place....and whats that hidding behind the wheelburrow ...?

Oh yeah, did I mention ......'Phase III'...? ... What's hidding under the tarp ?

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Re: Dave's Phase II

I peeked under the tarp when toy weren’t looking.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Now I know why your wife was aking so many questions..... .....so you could peek...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

I was in town, driving near Lowes, when I remembered Stucco getting some pumps for a good price....so in I go.
    I found a 2000 gallon waterfall pump for $54.... 1/2 price
    I'm now the proud owner of a big pump....guess it'll be used in 'Phase III'

On the way home....I remembered I wanted to get some more of the hose for my pumps and ponds. So, I stopped at Home depot.
    I spotted a pump, out of it's box. It was covered with about a 1/4 inch of dust...the box was torn, and had gotten wet at some point,but it was dry now. They both looked kind of cruddy.
    I spotted an employee, showed it to her....she went and got someone from that dept, who could make a decision on it.
    Yep....the 650 gal gallon waterfall pump became 'mine' , when they said those magic words...."Half price"

Those pumps are expensive even at 1/2 price. They last about a year, then you start getting shocked, then they sieze up.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

I got mine as a backup. I don’t normally buy Chinese, but the price was good. I’m waiting for the pump I have now (a little giant) to die cuz it’s been going for over three years nonstop.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Don't know how long it will last, but I got a free pump from an 18" diameter intex pool. I thought it would be a joke, but it seems to have the stuff. Quiet, takes a standard 1.5" pool hose, and puts out about 15 GPM at 8'. Looks like around 300 watts. I'm setting this up on my intex pool tank.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Badflash, you'll have to keep us up-dated about the intex pool pump.
    Will you use the filter...?...or, are you just using it to transfer water ?

I'm thinking about taking back the 2000 gal pump....even as a 'back up', it's pretty big.
    I like the redundancy of running (at least) 2 pumps on a system.

I've been looking at the QuiteOne brand.....pretty good on the powewr consumption....a 1 year warranty.
    The Danner supremes..are pretty good on the power....but they have a 3 year warranty. They are about 20 dollars more ...for the same size.
    Looked at little giants on ebay....prices about the same as the Danner's .....with a 3 year warranty....and USA made.

I'm looking for (a min of ) 500 gph @ 5 ft of head
    ....Any suggestions....input...advice?

David;
    I don't remember how large your tank is, I think it was around 4 or 500 gallons .... If you keep that 2000 gallon pump, that will be just about right for your system, if you want to change the water 3 times per hour. I have a 475 Gallon FT that, when I get thru adding GBs and plumbing will probably get close to 750 - 1000 gallons ..... a 3000 GPH sump pump would be fine with me (I can get one down at the local farm store for $54) .... I just need to design the system so that one pump will do the whole thing if possible (our power costs are egregious here!) .... If I can figure it out, I will probably be setting it up next ( )"summer" ( ) as we laughingly call our 3 month "growing season"
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

My main tank (now) is just over 500...I figure 2 times an hour is good, on the exchange. So, I'd like 2 pumps, that are doing 'at least' 500 gals @ 4 or 5 feet of head.
    The sump and Gb's (will) hold about 1500 gals.
    Phasae II ...is actually a 're-build' / 'add on' to the original system.

I was going to use the 2000 gal pump in phase III....[which is a 'new' seperate system]
    Don't tell anyone...I want it to be surprise... :P [/i]...Phase III will have about 1100-1200 gals of water in the 'tanks'.....the DWC's will be another 1800gals or so...

I am planning on getting some better quality pumps ...ASAP

Did I mention the land outside of town being Phase IV....?...