Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Members

Re: Saltwater aquaponics?

Sole (Brachirus Salinarum) can tolerate brackish water so you could run a pretty low salt level. I found it listed as a native AUS fresh water fish also. Maybe be able to acclimate them to fresh water.
    .^..^.
    |~.~|
    .\"""/
    ..."".. I use the f ree windows 7 operating system.... Free as in removewat23
    ????????............................().()~*
    .......................................{-.-},\8 ??????? ???? ????
    .......................................\[][]689

Members

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by dufflight
    For instance, if you drank 6.9 Liters of seawater or your salty aquaponic water, you would end up dead.
    ummm, if you drank 6.9 liters of freashwater, you'd be dead too!

Members

Youtube Mantis shrimp. It's the most powerful animal in the word by size. If you do salt water you should get one, they are awesome.
    .^..^.
    |~.~|
    .\"""/
    ..."".. I use the f ree windows 7 operating system.... Free as in removewat23
    ????????............................().()~*
    .......................................{-.-},\8 ??????? ???? ????
    .......................................\[][]689

Quote Originally Posted by mespe
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by dufflight
    For instance, if you drank 6.9 Liters of seawater or your salty aquaponic water, you would end up dead.
    ummm, if you drank 6.9 liters of freashwater, you'd be dead too!
    Was that a really bad joke? I drink more than that in a day if I'm working out.

Members

Guys,I was wondering: What if you replace the plants in the saltwater AP system with oysters or clams,for example? Do you think they can filter the water better than plants and feed(thus grow) using the dissolved nutrients in it? And if so,would you even need to remove the solids and run the water through a bio-filter before you flood the DWC tanks ( in this case used as improvised tide pools)?

Can you be more specific? Do you mean the oysters / clams would remove the nitrogenous compounds?

Members

I don't know,that's what I'm asking too!
    Seaweed is a very niche market product,but growing shelfish,on the other hand,can be quite profitable(not to mention ocean fish in the fish department ). I know some of the guys out there use freshwater clams in their DWC systems for additional filtration and it works pretty good. Of course those systems are mainly about plants,but could it work the other way around-could plants be used as an addition in a predominantly shellfish system for succesfully filtering the fish waste?

I did a quick search, and it looks like they are filter feeders meaning they will eat plankton out of the water. It mentioned oysters were such good filter feeders they improve water quality and were used to remove pollutants. Exactly what does it do? No idea. I guess you would basically have a green water situation with the oysters/clams in there. More of a pond than an aquaponic system, but it could work.

Members

That's a great question and one that could use a lot of research since there are a lot of saltwater fish that will not live in fresh water but would be great to raise. Cobia would be my choice. What research I have seen has focused on plants that thrive on ammonia rather than converting it to nitrates. One such plant is ulva, or sea lettuce. This does not have to be dried and is useful in a variety of ways including salads, soups, and even in ice cream. No, I don't think it is ulva flavored ice cream. It seems to be a thickening agent. Further research could be done in experimenting with gradually increasing the saltwater tolerance level of fresh water vegetables. Research has already been done in lowering the salenity level for some species of saltwater fish successfully. So a happy medium might be realized with some fish and some more common food plants. The other comment previously made about dried seaweed is certainly true. Here's a link to the use of seaweed in saltwater aquaponics. http://www.aquaponicsjournal.com/docs/a ... inator.pdf

Members

urbanfarmer is right. His post [Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:10 pm] mentions that some aquarium plants can sell for quite a bit. I was watching a reality TV show one night and one fist-sized lump of coral was elling for almost fifteen thousand dollars. No joke! A lot of dough, but it might be a slow growing process. I posted this to another forum on the subject:

I found this link which says that corals like a high ph:

http://www.coralscience.org/main/articl ... reefs-grow

This paper says that too high a ph could inhibit the rate of photosynthesis in seaweed, due to the high ph causing lower CO? levels:

http://www.nrel.gov/docs/legosti/old/1820.pdf

I want to try this as well. It looks really interesting, and if one could successfully raise coral, you could make some really good money. Some people will pay top dollar for prize corals for a decorative fish tank.

So in freshwater aquaponics, algae and a high ph is your enemy. But in saltwater, it is your friend!

I hope this helps -

UPDATE: I found this BBC story on a saltwater fish farm in the Sahara, pretty interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19942183