Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Saltwater aquaponics?

Here is a link showing some of the salt water aquarium plants:
    http://www.aquacon.com/vip.html
    There are some pretty sweet plants in there.
    Maybe these can be grown is a S-AP configuration.
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.

Members

http://www.pfaf.org/user/plantsearch.aspx has an option to search for plants that tolerate salt spray. These are probably either coastal terrestrial plants or brackish swamp/marsh ones rather than actual marine dwelling plants.

I think I might experiment in a few years with a brackish setup. Learn how to save seed and slowly increase the concentration from brackish to saline. Saving the best seeds after each increase should eventually lead to marine growing cultivars. Not crazy about fish but LOVE shellfish!

Members

I think it would be very interesting to have an integrated aquaponic system. Maybe it should be called mariponics, since it is more interested in marine plants and seafood than aquatic fish and terrestrial plants.

I think it would be cool to have, say, a tank of salt-water fish, such as tilapia, or dare I say, salmon, if the operation was big enough, and have that waste flow to shellfish and invertebrates like crayfish, crabs, seacucumbers, abalones, and clams and such. That way, the solids are eaten up by those animals before going to the nitrogenous breaking bacteria and then salt-tolerating plants, seaweed, or marine algae. Kelp could be grown hydroponically, right? Maybe have kelp starters and put those on little anchors or upside down floaters in a tank of salt water. The kelp and smaller seafood could maybe even be used for feeding the larger fish!

I also like Moondancer's idea of breeding salt-tolerating strains of terrestrial plants. Maybe over several generations, the plants would be better suited for salt. Imagine, watermelon already salted before you cut it!