Members

Auto fish feeder

I am looking for a reasonably priced automatic fish feeder. It must be able to handle fry powder, and feed nearly continuously throughout the day. I am also interested in larger feeders to feed multiple meals per day of larger pellets. Is there anything that you guys recommend? I have seen the belt feeders from aquatic eco, and they would certainly work for both applications, but are pretty pricey. http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... lt-Feeders

Re: Auto fish feeder

If you are only using those day-to-day, I guess they would be fine, but from what I read (skimmed rather quickly actually), they have to be hand-loaded, and clock-wound each day with several piles of feed, rather than actually dispensing the food at exact times of the day. I don't think I would like them, especially when I want something that will work while I'm gone to the Big City for a couple of days, or a trip to Tennessee for 5 weeks. I use an Eheim electronic, battery-operated unit that will feed for weeks (I learned that you ALWAYS want to put in fresh batteries if you are going for a long jaunt ) and it handles Fry as well as our Adult/Breeder sizes just fine! you can control how many times a day it feeds as well as what quantity of food to feed at each feeding. My major complaint with this is that it is meant for the smaller tanks and won't hold enough food to last for a month or two. I wouldn't even mind if it were electric, as the power is usually restored within an hour or two for lightning strikes and auto-powerpole collisions, a day or two max if we have a serious outage here If you hear of any others that will work for long-range, please let us all know!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

For fish over about 3" a demand fish feeder is the best. You can build them, or buy them. $100 is the going rate for systems that hold about 1 gallon of feed. For fry you can make jell feed, but these last a weekend at the most.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

I am afraid that you guys are missing what I am looking for. I am not going on vacation. Never will happen with all of the livestock. I am looking for a fry feeder that feeds frequently enough for optimal growth, and a pellet feeder that feeds a few times a day while I am at work.
    Badflash, got a link to the demand feeder you like?

Thanks

I don't use them yet, but I'm going to buy one of these and see if it will work for tilapia feeders. For fry you'll need to make something. Probably an auger type would be easiest.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

thanks for your such nice sharing with us here

I bought one of these, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=23821 works good for large fish in my tote. Has a large capacity and is weather proof.

Look at these and see if they are what you are looking for

http://www.aquaponicsusa.com/Aquapon....%20eders.html
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar