Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Members

Re: Oldandfound1 Greenhouse And Aquaponics

Yesterday I picked up from a CL a complete with pump free Intex 15' pool with the idea of using it to line my sump. It was in use as a pool this summer and for several years before, and along with it came a bushel basket of pool chemicals, filters, attachments etc.
    My concern is of course the chemical permeation of the inside of the pool so I thought to use it inside out to line the sump.
    Should I proceed?
    Every insight appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1

This link to a vendor image.
    http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/nationaldiscoun ... _232388821
    When you get to my age you cannot think of something without being reminded of something else.
    George Burns

O&F
    I do not think I would worry that much as most pool chemical have a very short life and most break down with O2 and sunlight . I would do a light ( reduced %) acid wash and let it set in the sun . I am betting at that point it will grow algae .
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

I agree. Just add some declorinator too the water and you'll be good to go.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Greenhouse looks great! Alot bigger than mine, I'm building a new one. I'll power everything with DC power in the new house.

Members

HI DirtDauber,
    I have been working on the greenhouse as often as possible lately. We added three sheep to our farm recently. The old barn manger needed to be divided three ways to accommodate the chickens, muscovy ducks, two goats and the new sheep. Also needed to put a cover over the chicken run beside the barn to keep them dryer now that the Seattle rain has settled in. Hay day today, as many bales as we can store up.
    The sheep were shore about a week ago. Mrs. and I picked up a spinning wheel on CL.
    What a good time it is to actually spin cleaned wool into yarn. Oh! I got to go rinse out some wool.
    Pictures later.
    Dennnis
    Oldandfound1
    When you get to my age you cannot think of something without being reminded of something else.
    George Burns

Members

Hi Folks,
    For reference sake, the last progress photo posted was almost two months ago. [attachment=2:c7wx6ddx]HOOPS UP Nine more Purlins 002.jpg[/attachment:c7wx6ddx].
    Mrs. and I have had a busy Fall season. The chickens needed some cover for their run to keep it dry. We added three sheep to our grazing animals now five with the two goats. So the manger had to be partitioned into stalls. Muscovy ducks were good producers, the chickens are laying about 2 dozen a day, and three rabbit does have kits.
    The dirt garden came on with a fair crop of various veggies, however, the damp summer killed off the tomato crop almost completely. Lost 60 plants in a week it seemed when the mildew would not stop.
    In the mean time some progress on the greenhouse build. Side boards went up first, followed by two anchor posts with a rafter system built off them. The hoops were cut down from 40' long each to 34'. This resulted in a flatter arc across the top. My concern was snow would collapse the works. Two vertical 4"x4" x8' treated posts were set in concrete moorings. Atop them 2ea 4"x4"x8' treated were attached horizontally with metal clips and painted plywood gussets. Extending from either end additional support was made of painted plywood. The vertical yellow 2"x4" supports were placed on each hoop.
    [attachment=1:c7wx6ddx]16 Greenhouse Southeasterly (Custom).JPG[/attachment:c7wx6ddx]
    [attachment=0:c7wx6ddx]1 Greenhouse facing South (Custom).JPG[/attachment:c7wx6ddx]
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOOPS UP Nine more Purlins 002.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	2692  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    George Burns

That looks like it'll hold up, about 4 or 5 feet of that white, wet, cold stuff.. ....BRrrrrr !
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

If you have read earlier, you know I like paint, so everything thus far except treated posts,but including hoops has at least two coats of exterior color.[attachment=2:1jtrukzg]15 Greenhouse Entryway (Custom).JPG[/attachment:1jtrukzg][attachment=1:1jtrukzg]12 Greenhouse View from on the Ladder (Custom).JPG[/attachment:1jtrukzg]
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1
    George Burns

Members

Almost forgot. Joey wanted a ride on the "Great Pumpkin"
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1[attachment=0:1yt6nzb1]Joey and the Great Pumpkin (Custom).JPG[/attachment:1yt6nzb1]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    George Burns

Wow, how long did that pumpkin take to grow?