Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Members

Re: Oldandfound1 Greenhouse And Aquaponics

Thanks BadFlash. I have been all over their site. They appear to have a good product.
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1
    When you get to my age you cannot think of something without being reminded of something else.
    George Burns

Members

Nearly a week in the 90 degree F. range finally broke today. The sump has been on my mind to get it past the walled up and painted stage.
    Took out the last of concrete forms finding some hard edges from the acrylic panels and of the concrete footing. Some of the carpet pad was stapled or glued in place.
    [attachment=0:1fj8sfun]Carpeting the hard edges.jpeg[/attachment:1fj8sfun]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carpeting the hard edges.jpeg 
Views:	125 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	2620  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When you get to my age you cannot think of something without being reminded of something else.
    George Burns

Members

Some of the rest of the carpet pad was in larger blocks. Once upon a time I had an upholstery shop. Cutting and trimming these pieces went along easily. The rubber backed red carpet squares on the floor are two and three layers thick because I did not want to haul any back to the shop and look at them for another 5 years.
    [attachment=1:m9rntcwn]Carpet Pad Sump Surfaces 2.jpeg[/attachment:m9rntcwn]
    Another view.
    [attachment=0:m9rntcwn]Carpet Pad Sump Surfaces.jpeg[/attachment:m9rntcwn]
    We moved to our farm in February, 2010. Last week we had the home professionally insulated, crawl, attic, pipes, duct work, and crawl space moisture barrier. In inherited a short roll of black visqueen from this project.
    After about an hour of pushing and folding and listening to myself crinkle this stuff into the sump pit the sun broke through the overcast morning. The visqueen was instantly warmer to the touch and more co-operative.
    Imagine a rectangular mushroom stem with a larger rectangular cap. That is the shape of the sump. The visqueen is 12 feet wide and 15 feet long, a measure cut one foot longer than actual dimension anticipating wrinkles and such.
    Can not remember the name of the living room game popular a few years ago. It consisted of a pad spread on the floor and of one or two players having to reach different spots with feet and hands while becoming entangled in the other player.
    Pretty much tangled up myself that way for a while.
    Sun has been out for a while so maybe I will go out and dress up the folds.
    The visqueen is the last layer before the pool liner.

Name:	Visquene Underliner.jpeg 
Views:	111 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	2621   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carpet Pad Sump Surfaces 2.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	2622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carpet Pad Sump Surfaces.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	2623  
    George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandfound1
    Can not remember the name of the living room game popular a few years ago. It consisted of a pad spread on the floor and of one or two players having to reach different spots with feet and hands while becoming entangled in the other player.
    Pretty much tangled up myself that way for a while.
    'Twister'
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Hey thanks davidstcldfl,
    Answer given about what happened to that trailer park in the Tornado belt, and what I once could do when Chubby Checker Sang.
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1
    George Burns

Members

Someone posted up a go around for PVC Tee Reducers, 1 1/2" x 1", or 3/4" Tee.
    So I thought I would give it a try as these reducers are pretty costly each. I am moving toward Barrels for grow beds, got four of them for free this week, each half barrel needs a tee to supply fish water.
    This is what I read about.
    [attachment=2:2cuc20rq]PVC Threading Instructional 003 (Medium).jpg[/attachment:2cuc20rq]
    First thing was shopping for a tap and dye for NPT. Harbor Freight had cheap metric machine thread kits, but it was $40.00 and up for pipe thread kits. Could not buy the individuals for 3/4" or 1/2".
    The idea hit me a few days before to try a heated iron pipe nipple.
    Drilled a 3/4" hole with a butterfly bit through short length of 1 1/2" sch 40 PVC. Got the nipple pretty hot and made up a threading through a single wall. It held a bushing, but I was not happy. Took a piece of 2" which fits sloppily over 1 1/2" sch. 40 ran it over the table saw extracting a piece about 2" long and 1 1/2" wide. This patch sat pretty snugly against the smaller 1 1/2" so on went the primer and glue and clamped with a channel lock pliers for 30 seconds.
    Got back to the experiment the next day, drilled a hole through the double wall, heated up the nipple again and produced a viable thread. Reduced the heating time on the nipple in the second go, had to reheat it to finish the threading.
    [attachment=1:2cuc20rq]PVC Threading Instructional 001.jpg[/attachment:2cuc20rq]
    For a single wall assembly it would likely tighten up with PVC Cement, or silicone.
    For the double wall fittings would likely be water tight for no or low pressure flow and the use of Teflon pipe tape when the attachment would benefit from occasional dis-assembly for cleaning.
    For a long supply line to numerous bed drains laying out a string line down a length of pipe, measuring the location for each drain on the string line, applying the 2" PATCH, drill and thread on the shop bench before assembly to the grow bed area.
    Dabble some white paint on the purple primer to dress it up.
    [attachment=0:2cuc20rq]PVC Threading Instructional 002.jpg[/attachment:2cuc20rq]
    Took these photos on the larger burner on the kitchen range.
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1

Name:	PVC Threading Instructional 003 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	2624   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PVC Threading Instructional 001.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	2625   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PVC Threading Instructional 002.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	2626  
    George Burns

Members

Slowed down just a bit late this week when Niece and family from Idaho visited. Lots of laughs for a day and a half.
    Finished up the last four hoops and painted. Mrs and I set them this afternoon. Installed as many purlin pieces as were ready. Nine more to go, and we will put up a flag.
    [attachment=1:2g40o32p]HOOPS UP Nine more Purlins 001.jpg[/attachment:2g40o32p]
    [attachment=0:2g40o32p]HOOPS UP Nine more Purlins 002.jpg[/attachment:2g40o32p]
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1

Name:	HOOPS UP Nine more Purlins 001.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	2629   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOOPS UP Nine more Purlins 002.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	2630  
    George Burns

Looking good! Wish my land was that flat!
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Greenhouse is looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandfound1
    Someone posted up a go around for PVC Tee Reducers, 1 1/2" x 1", or 3/4" Tee.
    I just ordered these 'Tee Eliminators'. I haven't installed any yet. They are simliar to the uni-seals.
    The biggest one (1 1/2") is a dollar....

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... minators/0
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan