Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Members

Oldandfound1 Greenhouse And Aquaponics

The future looked Grave. It was then about 2 months ago in June when Aquaponics came into my vocabulary. I used to have other interests. I can not remember them now.The Depth was stopped by hard pan, so expansion was only going to be laterally.

[attachment=0:2c8t631n]Sump in early digging.jpg[/attachment:2c8t631n]
    Expansion continued along with other parts searching and perimeter building. Spread in 2 pick-up loads of 7/8" gravel.[attachment=2:2c8t631n]Greenhouse over the Fence.jpg[/attachment:2c8t631n]
    [attachment=1:2c8t631n]First pile of gravel.jpg[/attachment:2c8t631n]
    On our farm are 2 Goats, about 50 chickens, 15 Muscovy ducks with more on the way, 50 rabbits (number goes up and down in sales, and what multiplication I allow.
    A 75'x100' dirt garden, several flower beds, numerous hanging baskets round out the chores daily in feeding and watering.
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greenhouse over the Fence.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	2578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First pile of gravel.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	2579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sump in early digging.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	2580  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When you get to my age you cannot think of something without being reminded of something else.
    George Burns

Members

Re: Oldandfound1 Greenhouse And Aquaponics

Then there was the Muscovy Duckling that needed to be hatched by hand.
    [attachment=2:2eq11lok]Removing Muscovy from Shell.jpg[/attachment:2eq11lok]
    They begin to discover the great outdoors. The dining room brooding was getting smelly so they got moved to a brooder in the barn.
    [attachment=1:2eq11lok]Ducklings in yard Muscovy.jpg[/attachment:2eq11lok]
    Continued digging and laying in 4"x4"x8' treated perimeter for the greenhouse. Weeks were flying by with hours of forum reading (it does satisfy), YouTube watching, etc. Discovered an ironmonger and recycle a few miles away.
    My wife with one of the English Lop bunnies in Blue.
    [attachment=0:2eq11lok]English Lop (Medium).jpg[/attachment:2eq11lok]
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1

Name:	Removing Muscovy from Shell.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	2581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ducklings in yard Muscovy.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	2582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	English Lop (Medium).jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	2583  
    When you get to my age you cannot think of something without being reminded of something else.
    George Burns

Members

Then some of the harder chores suffered for time on the internet. Eventually, the perimeter was getting secured. The framing clips were 50 cents a pound. They were screwed to the 5/8" re-bar driven in the ground and also held the galvanized posts also driven in the ground for the Hoop Greenhouse.
    [attachment=2:1pkxan6l]Perimeter with attaching clips and hoop post.jpeg[/attachment:1pkxan6l]
    About then a 325 gallon IBC turned up on a CL. It was 120 miles away round trip for $50. Unfortunately, the used for "Water Label" , had a grease pen X on it faded, and around another side a chemical label.
    I have not deserted as a fish tank just yet. My brother suggested leaving water in it for a while to see if an algae bloom will flourish. Suggesting if so then it would probably support fish. Not formed in the nature of a question but it is. Anybody?
    [attachment=1:1pkxan6l]325 Gallon IBC.jpeg[/attachment:1pkxan6l]
    "Joey" was in an accident with a car a year ago. Vet surgery removed his tail. Smart as they come, and opinionated about everything.
    [attachment=0:1pkxan6l]Joey the tailless Papillion Leaves inspectors message.jpeg[/attachment:1pkxan6l]
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1

Name:	Perimeter with attaching clips and hoop post.jpeg 
Views:	432 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	2584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	325 Gallon IBC.jpeg 
Views:	427 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	2585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joey the tailless Papillion Leaves inspectors message.jpeg 
Views:	426 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	2586  
    George Burns

I remember those days of "hand hatching" chicks and ducklings (as well as Turkens and goslings) .... growing up on a mini-farm in the 40's and 50's was a good education, and I'm sure you children (or grandchildren) will thank you for that kind of education in the future
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

hi oldandfound1, so far it's looking good and im glad to see your getting your project inspected. all your hard work will be worth it. good luck Big Al

Members

In some future posts I will fill in some things that have otherwise happened. Today,
    Mrs. and I took a 40 feet of 11/2" PVC and put it on the posts as a test.[attachment=2:1anx19mp]40 Feet of GH Hoop (Medium).jpeg[/attachment:1anx19mp]
    PVC deflection link; http://www.northernpipe.com/NPP_PVC_Hom ... ction.html
    After it was up we stood back and looked. At 23'10" wide, the arc top is 13'6".
    Question follows below.[attachment=1:1anx19mp]Patio View of Hoop.jpeg[/attachment:1anx19mp]
    Then I step to the inside north wall and snap this photo for perspective.
    [attachment=0:1anx19mp]Inside perspective of Hoopo.jpeg[/attachment:1anx19mp]
    The 4"x4" end wall frame is about 8'6" above ground level. The hoop arc is 5'6" above that.
    Greater expense in construction of larger hoops which will have PVC tees and Cross tees for 3 purlin. Hoop legs are 4 feet spacing.
    The question is, "In a greenhouse would I rather have greater air volume than less"
    I might be able to cut a couple of feet off of each leg and bring the elevation down to 11'6" thereby.reducing air volume about 2500 cubic feet.
    Hoop house is 23'10"x31'7" or by volume
    V = 7850 ft3
    Thank you
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1

Name:	40 Feet of GH Hoop (Medium).jpeg 
Views:	406 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	2592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Patio View of Hoop.jpeg 
Views:	422 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	2593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inside perspective of Hoopo.jpeg 
Views:	424 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	2594  
    George Burns

Members

The local transit system uses acrylic windows and advertising panels on the pay per ride bus. When they get vandalized they are replaced. They salvaged out to various uses in the last three years as dirt garden A-Frame row covers, hot boxes, rabbit and chicken nesting boxes and elsewhere.
    [attachment=1:16konrk2]Sump View with Concrete Footing.jpeg[/attachment:16konrk2]
    I made up some double layers with an 1/8" cedar spacer and walled up the vertical walls of the pit. We have moles and shrews, trying to keep them out and walls up.
    Some of those old squares of sticky-back carpet have been following me around too long. They are on the bottom. Behind the acrylic panels some old rubber like 1/8" thin insulator cut and slid behind the panels. Some lumber on stilts to brace the walls.
    Laid out some forms and poured the concrete footing around the pit.
    Placed some 2"x8" framing clips in the poured corners for start off framing of a raised wall. Eventually line the pit and walls with Pool Liner.
    Also poured around a couple of 1" galvanized steel pipe for later support of "Whatever".
    Our dirt garden has some 8'-9'2" foot tall Black Oil Sunflowers our neighbor gave us. She said they would be short.
    [attachment=0:16konrk2]Sunflower with Bee 2.jpeg[/attachment:16konrk2]

Name:	Sump View with Concrete Footing.jpeg 
Views:	409 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	2595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunflower with Bee 2.jpeg 
Views:	407 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	2596  
    George Burns

Dennis
    Welcome to your new addiction (as I was told ) & here
    Looks like you have a pretty good start on things .
    Hardpan LOL I just finished pick-axing a 9' x 9' x 3' hole for a FT and last two foot was rock and caliche
    On the greenhouse ,if it were me . I would drop the roof some . Wash. doesnt get that bitter cold as the coastal winds help but it does get cold and you dont have real hot summers so if you plan on running in the colder months you will need to heat . Heat rises ! So here in Texas I should have gone with a taller roof ,there I think a shorter one would benefit you more. My painter just came back from Carnation last week said he left 100 deg here to wearing a hoodie up there !
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

Members

Thanks for the advice HotRodMan. Between the logic of heating a smaller area and my wife insisting the thing was too tall, I came to a compromise 3 feet shorter, now at 10'6" at the center. Three foot tall galvanized posts driven in the ground now protrude to accept the PVC. These pipes are clipped to the perimeter 4"x4" treated wood. The white tops are pieces of gauze wrapped on to keep the pipe edge from cutting into the PVC.
    [attachment=2:2yq8x6xw]Fishished Hoop Design from North Wall.jpeg[/attachment:2yq8x6xw]
    Assembled and painted two more sticks 34 feet long yesterday, and painted the one in the air. Controversy over the chemical emissions of PVC eating away on the greenhouse cover material. Some say it does, some not. I am erring on the "paint it" side. It is white paint so it will not have heat gain.
    [attachment=1:2yq8x6xw]Two Painted 34 foot PVC.jpeg[/attachment:2yq8x6xw]
    Put the walls up on the sump pit earlier this week.
    [attachment=0:2yq8x6xw]Side view Sump Wall up.jpeg[/attachment:2yq8x6xw]
    Dares't ye look at the next post for the paint color of the wood. It was some old 1/2"x6" cedar fencing, salvaged by a fence contractor about 3 years ago who gave it away on CL. Turned out to be very tight knot fence boards and nearly straight grain 2"x4" support rails. The wall is assembled two layers with overlapping seams or "ship lap". Eventually only about 16" of water depth above the pit level.5'6" wide by 7'8" long. Top framing still in the future.
    Constantly looking for pool liner. Went out on a CL today unsure of size of 45 mil EDPM. It was only 10 feet wide x15'. I need a minimum of 12'x14'.
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1

Name:	Fishished Hoop Design from North Wall.jpeg 
Views:	384 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	2608   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Two Painted 34 foot PVC.jpeg 
Views:	381 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	2609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side view Sump Wall up.jpeg 
Views:	387 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	2610  
    George Burns

Lookin' good Dennis...

The paint on the pvc hoops, will protect the pvc too. It will , eventually become brittle in the sunlight. The gray, pvc conduit is UV protected....go figure...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan