Thread: Adjust PH

Members

Adjust PH

I need to adjust my ph down from 8.3 straight out of the tap, to something more suitable for plant growth. I have kept fish for years, and most have adapted to my hard water and high ph. But now that I am branching into aquaponics, I need to reduce it with a product that is safe for fish. This is a 2000 gallon system, so "ph down" at the fish store is cost prohibitive.
    What do you guys suggest?

Re: Adjust PH

Hi Brier ,
    You didn't say if it's city or well water. (?) The reason I mention that is.... A lady not far from me (here in FL) brought up the fact, that her PH test is different, when 1st drawn from her 'well'....then it is 24 hours later.
    Trying to remember exactly what she shared.....I believe she said after having an air stone running for 24 hours, the water tested at a 'higher' PH.

My water comes out of the (city) tap at 7.4. I use muriatic acid, the type sold for swimming pools.
    I have a large plastic cup (a quart), which has a very small hole drilled in the bottom. I add aprox a 1/4 of a cup of acid and the rest water. It slowly drips into my solids separator and is mixed in.
    I have about 1/2 the water volume, you do (1000 gals)....I spent a week bringing mine down 'slowly'.
    I've been meaning to set up a barrel, to pre-treat the water, before adding to my system.

Others may disagree.....but from my personal results, and what I have read....6.5 to 6.8 is the best range, (compromise) , for the plants and fish.
    I had transplanted some lettuce and spinach into my aquaponics system.....they just sat there for over a month...till I 'finally' decided to adjust my PH. Within a few days of getting under 7...they started to grow.

Check out this chart......look down between the range I mentioned....that's where most of the nutrients are available.
    Effects of PH

Stucco recently tested rainwater, here in central FL....it was so low, it was off the chart.(and it's very soft)
    If yours is too, you might be able to mix some rain water with your tap water (?) I wonder what your 'snow' would test at...?

Hope this helps....I'm sure others will have some suggestions.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

It is city water. Thank you for all of the info.

City water is often treated with sodium hydroxide for pH control. Muratic acid will fix that.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

The ph of water is usually not relevant, especially with increasing purity of the water.
    This is because, compared to the media and nutrients, the influence of the water is quite low.

My RO water at 10 tds went up to 6750 tds soaking cabbage in sea salt for kimchi (before rinsing).
    Sea water has high conductivity at 35,000 tds.

So anything added to good water, will have a much greater influence on pH than the water.

There's a good explanation here by knna:
    http://www.greenpinelane.com/YAF/Defaul ... osts&t=337

It depends on volume though. The more you add the more it has an effect. As Stucco will attest, using pure rain water has a big effect over time if you take no action to harden it.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow