Members

grouping tilapia in a hot tub

I'm really new to all this and decided to start an aquaponics garden with my buddy on a whim. He has a farm with alot of space and an old hot tub. We were thinking of using the old hot tub to grow the fish and even use it as a heat source and aeration for the water. Anyone have advice on whether this is a good idea? has anyone used a hot tub successfully before?

Re: grouping tilapia in a hot tub

Welcome! I have seen a couple few hot tub fish tanks and have never heard of any problems.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Members

Welcome to the fourm,

I really like the hot tub idea... And wanted to do something like this too, The problem that i see, is that some of the plumbing may be brass or copper, and that is a big no no in aquaponics, because the PH tends to get lower over time, and that will dissolve the brass or copper into the water and kill the fish.....

If the Hot tub unit does not have any brass or copper plumbing, than i think that would be a winner......

RS

Hi achilles600 ...welcome to the 'addiction'......

The blower from a hot tub might be too powerful...the fish will be breaking out their surf boards... :P
    Kidding aside....it 'might' add a good bit of $ to the electric bill...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

A hot tub doesn't have to work nearly as hard to keep the water at 85F, as it does keeping it at 100F+. And with a lid that comes with most of them, heat loss is kept a min..... I think that hot tubs would be great for Tilapia, so long as there is no brass or copper plumbing

Members

Hectic and fast paced is stressful today's lifestyle. To indulge in a bit of de-stressing after work a few of us have time to visit a local spa. How about if you have your own hot tub in your home? The hot tub doesn't have to be a dream. Hot tub is more affordable than ever. In different style, sizes, and seating capacity, inflatable hot tubs are available. For relaxation and hydrotherapy, inflatable hot tub have been engineered. Stronger than ever is inflatable hot tub specification. Most of the home owners are in a favor of a inflatable hot tubs brand when it comes to the hot tub or general bathing facilities and equipment. They are so popular that they are able to enjoy a very high % of the market till today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy50
    Hectic and fast paced is stressful today's lifestyle. To indulge in a bit of de-stressing after work a few of us have time to visit a local spa. How about if you have your own hot tub in your home? The hot tub doesn't have to be a dream. Hot tub is more affordable than ever. In different style, sizes, and seating capacity, inflatable hot tubs are available. For relaxation and hydrotherapy, inflatable hot tub have been engineered. Stronger than ever is inflatable hot tub specification. Most of the home owners are in a favor of a inflatable hot tubs brand when it comes to the hot tub or general bathing facilities and equipment. They are so popular that they are able to enjoy a very high % of the market till today.
    What does this have to do with the price of eggs in China?
    Trust God, after all, only He knows what He is doing.

Random Thoughts: There is some truth in every newspaper and magazine, you just need to know where to look....
    For instance: The name, price, date, and page numbers are usually always true!

Very interesting fishtank idea. Seems that most people that have a hot tub that works usually uses it for themselves, Tell you what, I will trade you your working hot tub for a 3' above ground swimming pool. Oh wait, I see that you posted this in August, perhaps now that winter is amongst us, you might have changed your mind. Seriously though, as already stated, even if not heating a full capacity, it might still be pricy. Avoid the copper, and make sure no chlorine or other chemical leftovers in the system, and it should do fine. I assume that hot tubs would be well insulated?
    Trust God, after all, only He knows what He is doing.

Random Thoughts: There is some truth in every newspaper and magazine, you just need to know where to look....
    For instance: The name, price, date, and page numbers are usually always true!