Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Members

New guy building system right now

Hello guys, I am knee deep in building a greenhouse aquaponics system
    2000 gallons of water
    Blue tilapia, already have breeding colony in basement and 1000's of fry
    12 x 24 greenhouse with fish tanks heated from my wood burning furnace.
    Large bioreactor, and clarifier to filter heavy stocking density.
    Plumbing is complete, and tank is recirculating, and being fed ammonia chloride for cycling right now.
    Next step is to build grow beds
    I will upload some pics as soon as I can get my wife to resize them small enough that the forum will accept them.

A little about myself. My family produces all of our own meat, except for fish, so this is the next logical step on our way towards self sufficiency. We raise Guinea hogs for pork, chicken (both meat birds, and layers) Nigerian dwarf dairy goats, for meat and milk, Muscovy ducks for meat, have a recently dug 1/4 acre pond for food and recreation, and water for irrigation, 75 head of Dexter, and Australian lowline cattle for beef, and grassfed beef sales. The cattle are on leased land, everything else happens on our 2.5 acre homestead. 4000 square foot garden.
    I will have some questions for those of you in the know about growbeds in the next few days. Thanks for all of the great information so far, I have read the forum top to bottom.

Re: New guy building system right now

Hi Brier....welcome...

Bring on the pictures !
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. PLease go to your profile and tell us where you live. There might some APers close by.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Hi Brier,

Good to see another Ohioan on the list. We're increasing in numbers.
    If you have any questions just ask.

Ironfish

Members

Thank you guys for the warm welcome. Things are coming along well. I took the week off, and am really making some progress. I have learned that the secret to plumbing is................................................ .................................................. ...............A full tank of gas.

I will get some pics up tomorrow, honestly can't wait. I am rather proud of my system. Oh BTW, anyone need some Oreochromis aureus I happen to have a few thousand too many. Seriously. I am not in the least bit afraid of shipping a few out. I have shipped fish via USPS priority mail for years. If any of you guys need some for a project, let me know.

Members

check your email briar.. i might be interested in a few, and i think i know where you could get rid of more

good luck!

Members

Welcome to the forum from a start-up near Seattle. Lots of good folks and great learning here.
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1
    When you get to my age you cannot think of something without being reminded of something else.
    George Burns

Members

hi brier, just another ohioan checking in good luck Big Al

Why don't you post your breeding experience in the "blue tilapia" section? That is one of the species I haven't tried yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brier
    Thank you guys for the warm welcome. Things are coming along well. I took the week off, and am really making some progress. I have learned that the secret to plumbing is................................................ .................................................. ...............A full tank of gas.

I will get some pics up tomorrow, honestly can't wait. I am rather proud of my system. Oh BTW, anyone need some Oreochromis aureus I happen to have a few thousand too many. Seriously. I am not in the least bit afraid of shipping a few out. I have shipped fish via USPS priority mail for years. If any of you guys need some for a project, let me know.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

I will do just that very shortly Badflash. This is a very busy week for me, but as soon as things settle down I will take an hour and do a nice write up on my broodfish set up. I absolutely love them. They are so sustainable. There is no other fish that is as easy to breed for a backyard farmer. If I were raising channel catfish, I would have to rely on outside sources yearly for my fish.