Hoop Bender for Green House construction

I bought one of the benders listed here off ebay:
    http://www.hoopbenders.net/home.html

Seems like nice people. Weather got bad before I had a chance to use it.

They use galvanized fence top rail and bend them in an arc. 3 11' pieces will make a 20' diameter hoop. Makes a nice frame to cover with greenhouse cloth.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Re: Hoop Bender for Green House construction

I also tripped accross this site:
    http://www.northerngreenhouse.com/produ ... stener.htm

The polyfastener looks like just what I need. This should allow me to build down a slope, which is where the greenhouse has to go.

They also have super strong woven poly covering.
    http://www.northerngreenhouse.com/produ ... /clear.htm
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Yes that is a great way to make a hoop house, PVC is cheaper but metal is the way to go and that setup you are looking at is slick it was the best one I have seen for that type of large scale bending. As for poly I am still not sure what I want to go with next time although UV material last longer than cheap plastic you buy at local hardware.

My goal is to use polythene next time I rebuild mine but looks like the pole barn roof get's priority and with a 30x40 it will drain my tax return....oh well.

Looking forward to seeing your hoop barn when you get it going. Big fan of hoop houses around here and they work well....better than glass they say.
    ""we are what we eat""

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW
    Yes that is a great way to make a hoop house, PVC is cheaper but metal is the way to go and that setup you are looking at is slick it was the best one I have seen for that type of large scale bending. As for poly I am still not sure what I want to go with next time although UV material last longer than cheap plastic you buy at local hardware.

My goal is to use polythene next time I rebuild mine but looks like the pole barn roof get's priority and with a 30x40 it will drain my tax return....oh well.

Looking forward to seeing your hoop barn when you get it going. Big fan of hoop houses around here and they work well....better than glass they say.
    I was reading on a WSU site that the reason that PVC doesn't get along with contractor's plastic (or maybe even Polyethelene) is that the PVC "off-gasses" over time, and the gas reacts with the plastic to cause it to deteriorate. She said that you should only use 6 mil UV treated polyethylene which should last for two to three years. I looked up 6 mil polyethelyne, and it is possible to buy it without it being treated, so watch what you buy when you do buy! I'll see if I can find that link .

Ahh, that wasn't so hard, I had that one bookmarked http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublicatio...25/eb1825.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol A. Miles, Ph.D. and Pat Labine, Ph.D.
    Polyethylene plastic is available in many grades. A 6 mil weight is recommended for greenhouses. Selecting a lighter weight (4 mil) is not recommended. Untreated polyethylene will cost less initially; however, the lifespan of the material is significantly less, and the material will likely degrade after one year of use. When treated with a UV inhibitor, 6 mil plastic generally is guaranteed for 3 years.

Gases that escape from the PVC (polyvinyl chloride) pipes contribute to the deterioration of the polyethylene plastic. To prevent "off-gasing," paint the PVC pipes with white latex paint.
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

Gases that escape from the PVC (polyvinyl chloride) pipes contribute to the deterioration of the polyethylene plastic. To prevent "off-gasing," paint the PVC pipes with white latex paint.

Interesting about the paint..I have not read that but it makes sense. Also it is true my contractors grade 6 MIL lasted only 1 summer and it was about $75 for a roll. Still have some left so i guess I can use it for something around here.

So if you painted the PVC and then you used a quality grade UV plastic such as green house grade plastic I wonder would that trick "increase" the life span so instead of 2-3 years you could get 4-5 years maybe? .........Just a thought
    ""we are what we eat""

Members

Hi,

My first attempt with a greenhouse was a 10' x 20' half greenhouse attached to my shop ( used it for extra storage). I used 4 year greenhouse grade plastic. It is is just starting to break down after 6 years.

IronFish

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW
    Also it is true my contractors grade 6 MIL lasted only 1 summer and it was about $75 for a roll.
    Yeah, I was looking at some at Lowes with the same idea, but I don't think it was UV treated, which would make a difference . I've looked it up online, and it's more spendy than the woven poly greenhouse cover that's only 50 cents a square foot!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

PVC GREEN HOUSE
    Here is a hoop barn (hoop house) what ever they call em I call them hoop barns.

[video:381vb2yf]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17lI6dUS1tk[/video:381vb2yf]
    ""we are what we eat""