Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: New Backyard System

If you put in the check valve, be sure it is easy to remove and clean. This should be done regularly as you get growies in them and they plug up.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

you might find that the spray holes will tend to get plugged/clogged..
    that's why my next system will just tee into the gb, with one pvc pipe to each end of the bed, right now there are holes in my pipes

Hi kyledwards .....
    I didn't know if you had read anything on 'cycling' (conditioning) water' yet ?
    Before you get some fish, you may want to give these two links a quick read.

The links are on 'cycling water'....to get the right kinds of bacteria growing/living in the water. They change amonnia to nitrites, then into nitrates.
    I think it's easier and less stressful to do it 'before' getting fish.
    You can add plants to your grow bed, while cycling too. Then they are already in place, to use the nitrates.
    A good water test kit, is a 'must have'.
    http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum ... f=11&t=131
    http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum ... f=11&t=133
    I wish we had more at DIY on the topic ...these are to another forum.
    Hope they help...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    Good point....I have a spray bar on the water going into my fish tank. On the 'end', I placed a 90 facing up. As the holes plug up...the water starts to flow out the 90, maintaing the flow of water..
    I clean the holes, about every 3 days or so. I think it's worth it, to help with the oxygen.
    I'm still saving for a good air pump.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    Good point....I have a spray bar on the water going into my fish tank. On the 'end', I placed a 90 facing up. As the holes plug up...the water starts to flow out the 90, maintaing the flow of water..
    I clean the holes, about every 3 days or so. I think it's worth it, to help with the oxygen.
    I'm still saving for a good air pump.
    Man, all of you are full of great info! You really have to clean the spray bar holes that often?

I do know about tank cycling and water conditioning. I have a few fish tanks in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by kyledwards
    Man, all of you are full of great info! You really have to clean the spray bar holes that often?
    I belive I got the idea of the '90', from TCLynx, when I was at her house (?) The more pictures you see, the more postings you can read...it all starts to add up ....eventually.

I probably clean it, more like 'once a week'....(?) Usually only about 20-25 % of the holes plug. It takes just as long, to go get the nail or drill bit ,as it does to clean it...
    I started with 'kinda,' small holes. I wanted to make sure the entire bar, had water flow (it's 1" pvc...about 6' long) I guess I could re-drill the holes, one size bigger. That should help.

Members

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Quote Originally Posted by kyledwards
    I belive I got the idea of the '90', from TCLynx, when I was at her house (?) The more pictures you see, the more postings you can read...it all starts to add up ....eventually.

I probably clean it, more like 'once a week'....(?) Usually only about 20-25 % of the holes plug. It takes just as long, to go get the nail or drill bit ,as it does to clean it...
    I started with 'kinda,' small holes. I wanted to make sure the entire bar, had water flow (it's 1" pvc...about 6' long) I guess I could re-drill the holes, one size bigger. That should help.
    Thanks David for the reply. Yeah, I built out my water bar around the parmeter of my GB (probably to much now I think about it). I'm not going to drill any holes until I get the hydroton this weekend. Hopefully I get can enough hydroton locally.

Members

Hi kyledwards,

Have you found a place in the Bay Area to get your hydroton?

I went to a hydroponics place in Hayward and picked up a couple bags.

Members

The twelve inch bed depth has to do with the length of root depth tomatoes and other plants like. A tomato cage "is" likely to cause liner problems. Better to string up the tomato and climbing plants with overhead support.
    A ball valve will allow you to pressurize the run volume to your GB and send the rest back to the FT aeration. GB volume needs to be slow enough for your Bell Siphon to kick off. Keep drilling holes in the aerator pipe till the run volume of the pump is acceptable. You may want to ball valve both the GB line and the aerator line to fine tune the GB fill time. Much more volume returning to the FT than going to the GB. Can't have too much oxygen.
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1
    When you get to my age you cannot think of something without being reminded of something else.
    George Burns

Members

I have added a new growbed as well. It is an HDPE 120 gallon tank that is 77" by 34" wide by 12" deep. It is going to contain 3/4 inch gravel. I'm thinking of putting a trellace behind it so that I can plant tomatoes, squash and viney type veggies. My Fish tank is inside my screenroom so I could not do a flood and drain system, but will have a sump pump. Here is the photo I took in the lower right-hand corner.