Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: New Backyard System

As long as the plants are not tall they won't fall over, but plants with deep roots may have an issue as 7" won't drain all the way to the bottom.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

deeper beds are recommended for a couple of reasons, but i'm sure it doesn't hurt to experiment..
    one of the posters on this forum (TCLynx) uses 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tanks as grow beds, i think those are around 20" to 22" deep..
    i've seen a couple system with 4 or 6" deep trays, they are really limited on what they can grow
    i don't know if i'd put the pipe deep under the hydroton, you might siphon the water out back through the pump if it shuts off..
    next growbed feed i do will have probably 2 outlets, one on each end of the pipe going into each end of the gb.. if you are worried about the algae the will start to grow, you can put one of those plastic scrub pads under the water outlet
    you want solids in the growbeds so that they start to break down and provide all the good stuff the plants need, but if you are under sized in the gb to ft, it might be a good idea to remove some solids
    worms are a definite plus in the gb, try to get "red wiggler" or composting worms
    best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by kyledwards
    I'm thinking of putting an aquarium filter on the end of the pipe entering the GB to collect the solids from the FT. Putting the end of the pipe deep under the hydroton with the filter so algae doesn't grow.
    I'd skip the aquariumfilter.
    You can run your pipe 'just into ' the hydroton...not deep. Keith mentioned it might siphon...good point.
    If your adding a 'tee' anyway, to run some water back to the fish tank....you may be able to run it in such a way ..... to act as a 'vent' , if the pump shuts off.....(?)

Fish pooh is BIG....worm pooh is little.... The worms will 'aid in' keeping the GB working. Of course ,one GB and worms can only handle so much fish load.
    You could add a solids seperator, before the GB.....'if' your load gets too high. Then add the collected 'pooh' to plants in the dirt garden. It would be better, to add more GB's, at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    but plants with deep roots may have an issue as 7" won't drain all the way to the bottom.
    He's right.....my bell siphon leaves about an 1 1/2" (or less) of water in the bottom. 'I think' ...TCLynx made the comment , that her 'loop siphon' removed more,
    then what a bell typically did (?)
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Hey thanks for all the replies. Have the fun is experimenting! I was originally thinking of just having the main pipe flow into the grow bed and wrapping a fish filter around the end to catch the solids.

I have noticed the pump sucking back into the FT. I put a very small hole in the pipe and when the water level reaches that level it breaks the siphon. Haven't had a problem since.

My bell siphon leaves about a inch of water too. I didn't think it would be a problem if the water is cycling constantly.

As promised. A few photos without the hydroton.
    [attachment=1:nje2oc5a]IMG_0023.jpg[/attachment:nje2oc5a]
    [attachment=0:nje2oc5a]IMG_0029.jpg[/attachment:nje2oc5a]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	2531   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0029.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	2532  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks nice... Hard to tell in the picture...looks like there may be room to the left, for more GB's ???

I have noticed the pump sucking back into the FT. I put a very small hole in the pipe and when the water level reaches that level it breaks the siphon. Haven't had a problem since.
    Sorry...I'm not sure what you are trying to tell us....? I 'think' you mean when the pump is 'off' ...?....'or'....Was the pump sucking in air,(when it's running) because the water was low, in the Fish tank ?

Did you keep the 'big' pump...?

Normally, when people use 'bells', they do leave the pump run all the time.

On another note....I'm a commercial AC Tech. 'It looks like' (?) your liner is up against the coil on your condensor. That will make your unit work harder/longer.... Blocking the top of the unit does the same thing.
    When your 'AC guy' comes to clean your coils.....he'll be doing this.... ....lol.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Looks nice... Hard to tell in the picture...looks like there may be room to the left, for more GB's ???

Sorry...I'm not sure what you are trying to tell us....? I 'think' you mean when the pump is 'off' ...?....'or'....Was the pump sucking in air,(when it's running) because the water was low, in the Fish tank ?

Did you keep the 'big' pump...?

Normally, when people use 'bells', they do leave the pump run all the time.

On another note....I'm a commercial AC Tech. 'It looks like' (?) your liner is up against the coil on your condensor. That will make your unit work harder/longer.... Blocking the top of the unit does the same thing.
    When your 'AC guy' comes to clean your coils.....he'll be doing this.... ....lol.
    Thanks davidstcldf for the reply. Sorry for not explaining it that well. I'll try again. When I turn off the pump I noticed the water would start going back down into the pump and into the FT. I know it's not a problem when the pump is going all the time. As you know it's a non issue as long as the pump is going all the time.

We don't even turn on the AC. It does get hot here, but the wife and I don't like AC at all. Since you're an AC guy do you have any recommendation on how often we should turn it on to make sure it will not break or whatever AC units do when they are never used? Sorry to be off subject...

Yeah, I have room for more grow beds. I really want to build a green house in a different location. I'll stick to just one GB for now ($$$$). I'd like an 8'X10' green house with two 2'X7' GBs, but it'll have to wait.

Time for a trip to Home Depot...

We don't even turn on the AC.
    how often we should turn it on to make sure it will not break or whatever AC units do when they are never used?
    ....in central FL, most people run their units about 10 months a year. Commercial buildings run 12 months a year (except last winter when it was cold for 2 weeks... )

I don't really know the answer to your question...

Everything need to be cycled periodically. I have a backup generator. I didn't use it for 6 months and when I needed it, it didn't work. The Ethanol added to gas gets growies in it and it plugs up the jets in the carb.

I'm sure the same applies to all components in standby. Set up a periodic schedule to run stuff to be sure it works so you have time to fix it if it doesn't. If it doesn't work when you try it, your schedule is too long.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

hi kyle, i'm also a hvac tech you should turn your ac unit on at least 1 time every 6 months just to keep things free and moving. it sounds like you need to install a check valve after your water pump to keep water from draining back. there under $10.00 at home depot. good luck Big Al

Members

Thanks for the replies. Okay, I'll kick on my HVAC every six months (I just don't want to be home).

I was looking at the check valve last night at homedepot and was thinking that would stop the flow going backwards. I'm not to worried about it though.

I added more PVC pipe inside the grow bed, but ran out of light so I didn't get the holes drilled to make the spray bar. Also, added a T and ball valve above the pump to have some of the pumps water flow back into the FT. Works beautifully! Thanks for that suggestion. Now, I just need to hydroton and fish. I'll probably get the hydroton this weekend and play with the flow to get it cycling about twice an hour.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.