Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Members

New Backyard System

So I got my system setup this weekend without the hydroton. I'll be purchasing it local to avoid the shipping cost.

Here is my setup:

Grow Bed: 6' X 4' X 9" (will be filling it to about 7 inches) About 94 Gallons @ 7 inches
    Fish Tank: 150 Gallon Rubbermaid Stock Tank
    Pump: Flotec FP0S1300X (1/6 HP, 1470 GPH Submersible Utility Pump)

The grow bed takes about 24 minutes to fill (I have a ball valve restricting the pumps flow). The bell siphon starts to flow fast at about 25 minutes and the bell siphon breaks at 35 minutes.

The question I can think of right now.

1. By restricting the pumps flow will I burn it out? Any reason I shouldn't do it? Get a smaller pump? Maybe a 300-500 GPH pump?

2. I have the grow bed draining directly back into the fish tank. Do I need a sump? Why do you have a sump?

3. Should I aerate the fish tank?

4. I read on this forum that the a 2:1 ratio is hat you should strive for. I at about 1.5:1 right now. Will this cause problems? I guess it matters on the bioload/how many fish I get.

5. Anybody in Northern California recommend a place to get Silver Perch? I might start with gold fish or Koi, but I do eventually want fish to eat. Anybody have good info on the SIlver Perch? Speed at which they grow, etc, etc?

6. Will adding the hydroton change my flow rates?

I'll have pictures tonight!

Thanks in advance. I can't wait to start planting!

Members

Re: New Backyard System

regarding the ratio's..
    it is describing the ratio of growbed to fish tank, ideally, you want 2x as much growbed volume as fish tank volume..

i have a small system, 1:1, 2 55 gallon barrels cut in half for growbeds, and a 110 gallon fish tank, because i use about 40 gallons of water to flood the system, i don't really need a sump,

it would be better to have 200 gallons of growbed to 100 gallons of fish tank, but that's when you start to need a sump, unless you do a sequencing valve, becuase you can end up draining to much water from the fish tank
    look up CHIFT PIST - Constant Height in Fish Tank, Pump In Sump Tank
    i'm not real familiar with pumps, but you want to be able to pump the volume of the fish tank through the growbeds once an hour, then oversized it from there.. if you have to much flow you can divert a line back into the tank to add aeration
    I have a few airstones in my 110 gallon ft, it can't hurt unless it gets real cold, then you'd be pumping the cold air into the water

You don’t want to restrict the pump flow. Instead add a t with a ball valve and pump the excess water back to the tank for additional aeration.
    The 94 gallon bed will not drain the tank all that much once you fill it with the hydroton. Hydroton will take up 60% of the volume of the bed.
    Lots of aeration is good. You can almost never have too much. I use the rechargeable backup type for extra piece of mind in case of power outage.
    I think the silver perch are only available in Australia unless you get some at a pet store, but that may cost you.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

I agree with Keith...(and now Stucco, He just beat me to the post)..Dont restrict your pump.....add a tee to your supply from the pump. Run most of it to the GB and the rest back to the tank. You can make a spray bar from pvc....just drill a seires of holes and let the water spray into the tank.

1470 gph on your pump rating...... That is 'a lot' for your set up.
    However, you'll lose 'some' flow depending on the 'head'.... how high the top of the GB is above the surface of the fish water. You'll lose some with the flow of water through the pvc....especially, once you build up a bio-film inside the pipe. ( The bio-film will effect the drains also....always go bigger, then you think you may need, as a safety factor)

On sizing a pump....move the fish tanks water 'twice' an hour....Plus, figure in the things I already mentioned above. (Twice an hour, helps with the oxygen level)
    You, yourself mentioned a smaller pump. You 'might' want to try one around 500 gals...just MHO. You really need to look at the flow chart, that shows how the 'head' effects the flow of a given pump.

You can save the big pump for when you add GB's and a sump....remember, it's an addiction....

The hydroton will displace about 60% of the water (if I remember right ?)
    Your GB, at 7 inches is about 104 gals...add the hydroton and your GB will hold about '40 some' gals.
    So, your GB will fill 'faster'.

Your correct about the fish load....when you don't have as much GB...keep the load on the light side. It's smart, to start with just a few fish....just incase...

Add some red wigglers to your GB....they'll help keep it clean(er). Worms don't drown....only if there is too little oxygen in the water.

Looking forward to your pictures !
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Thought I'd make a quick drawing of my setup in Google SketchUp. SketchUp is a great was to visualize the system and get all the measurements you need for the lumber. The plumbing is not what it looks like (I'm still figuring out how to do it in SketchUp. Having the ability to visualize my aquaponics setup helped a lot. I'm a visual person so it's great. [attachment=0:3p8zrrsj]aquaponics system.jpg[/attachment:3p8zrrsj]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aquaponics system.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	2530  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members

Hey thanks guys for the Replies! Keith & Stucco, what a awesome idea about putting a T and pumping water back into the fish take to create more bubbles! I would have never thought of that. I might even try adding a venturi to it.

So the Hydroton will take up about 60% of the grow bed volume. Yeah, I'll need a smaller pump.

The "head" I believe is maybe 2' or 2' 6". Not sure, but the overall height of the grow bed is a little over 3' and the pipe coming out of the pump might be about 3' 6". I believe the flow at 1470 GPH was at level. I found the manual for my pump online and at 3' it pumps 1320 GPH.

If I add a spray bar all the way around my grow bed and have some go back into the fish tank do you think it's possible to keep the pump?

I can return to pump, so maybe I'll just get a 500GPH pump...

Your sump should be between the FT and GB in an effort to collect as much of the sediment as possible to keep it out of the GB as possible, otherwise it can eventually clog the GB and stall you system.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

7" is pretty shallow. 12" is usually considered the minimum for a GB.

I always recommend air stones, and on a different circuit.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by kyledwards
    If I add a spray bar all the way around my grow bed and have some go back into the fish tank do you think it's possible to keep the pump?
    You may find ,where ever the water hits/splashes on the hydroton....you'll see algee growing...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

JCO & davidstcldfl, I'm thinking of putting an aquarium filter on the end of the pipe entering the GB to collect the solids from the FT. Putting the end of the pipe deep under the hydroton with the filter so algae doesn't grow. What about adding worms? Will that help the problem with the solids in the GB? I'm thinking the fish solids will just turn into worm solids...

I thought 7" would be fine for Lettuce and other leafy greens. I know tomato might have issues but I could just put a tomato cage in the GB. I guess I just need to make sure the bottom of the cage doesn't poke thru the pond liner.