So I got my system setup this weekend without the hydroton. I'll be purchasing it local to avoid the shipping cost.

Here is my setup:

Grow Bed: 6' X 4' X 9" (will be filling it to about 7 inches) About 94 Gallons @ 7 inches
Fish Tank: 150 Gallon Rubbermaid Stock Tank
Pump: Flotec FP0S1300X (1/6 HP, 1470 GPH Submersible Utility Pump)

The grow bed takes about 24 minutes to fill (I have a ball valve restricting the pumps flow). The bell siphon starts to flow fast at about 25 minutes and the bell siphon breaks at 35 minutes.

The question I can think of right now.

1. By restricting the pumps flow will I burn it out? Any reason I shouldn't do it? Get a smaller pump? Maybe a 300-500 GPH pump?

2. I have the grow bed draining directly back into the fish tank. Do I need a sump? Why do you have a sump?

3. Should I aerate the fish tank?

4. I read on this forum that the a 2:1 ratio is hat you should strive for. I at about 1.5:1 right now. Will this cause problems? I guess it matters on the bioload/how many fish I get.

5. Anybody in Northern California recommend a place to get Silver Perch? I might start with gold fish or Koi, but I do eventually want fish to eat. Anybody have good info on the SIlver Perch? Speed at which they grow, etc, etc?

6. Will adding the hydroton change my flow rates?

I'll have pictures tonight!

Thanks in advance. I can't wait to start planting!