Co-Cropping with Tilapia

This spring I put a bunch of 3" red claws in my tubs I use for juvie grow-out of my O. mossambicus to see if they could co-exist. Young tilapia will actively hunt small crustaceans, so I didn't expect any offspring to survice. I expected the tilapia to pick off the eggs, or any hatchlings.

Looks like I was wrong. The PVC hides I provided provided shelter enough for the big ones, and at least a few babies survived as well. I pulled out some 1" juvies and one mother had a bunch of babies still on her tail. Those went into a rearing tank for safe keeping.

Another mother with around 300 eggs went into an isolation tank. In a month or so I'll see how we do.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Re: Co-Cropping with Tilapia

I'm turning 'green'.....

Any pictures of your lobster size crawdads ?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Not lobster sized yet, but they are way bigger than my clarkii. I'll see what I can do picture wise.

I finally got rid of my surviving (1 out of 6) Marmokreb ..... I figured if she didn't have babies after almost a year, she wasn't worth having . I gave her away to the guys that bought the last of my Mossies, which I sold just before I left for this trip. I'll get back to Montana just in time to start getting ready for the winter . My son wants us to move here to Tennessee, but unless I sell the property in Montana, I can't see moving here and paying a mortgage in Montana at the same time .
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope
    My son wants us to move here to Tennessee, but unless I sell the property in Montana, I can't see moving here and paying a mortgage in Montana at the same time .
    Think of all the cash you'd save by 'not' trying to heat the place all winter. Even if you cut you own firewood....think of all the time you'd save....

It sounds good anyway.....I know you probably rather be with your son...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    Not lobster sized yet, but they are way bigger than my clarkii. I'll see what I can do picture wise.
    What kind of Crayfish are you raising and can you post a picture of the Lobster Size one.
    Thanks

http://farmingcrawfish.com/crawfish_red ... dclaw.html
    Good slide show. This is who I got mine from.

Quote Originally Posted by catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    What kind of Crayfish are you raising and can you post a picture of the Lobster Size one.
    Thanks

Hi catfish, here's some more info...
    Link to red claw info