this winter will be interesting...I have a plastic ring 90 inch diameter and full of leaves and food waste from neighbor that does the juicer. It is cold at night and the temp on surface of leaves is warm to the touch. With this much mass and about 1 million tiger worms I should have about 3 million worms by April and it is Nov now.

I am getting good at managing the worms in large numbers so the size of this ring out in the
pole barn does not scare me, matter a fact it has NO BOTTOM it is bottomless like a dancer in Navy bar ...I laid down landscape blocks all leveled on the ground then a ton of leaves that were pulled of the brussel sproat plants after harvesting them (HUGE LEAVES) these were the bedding
then I put a layer of leaves on them. Next I dumped 15 gallons of carrots scraps,apples all the
stuff one juices with. This was for the WORMS but it also is my Nitrogen source and once
it mixed with the leaves the HEAT started to rise. Microbes and worms all having a feast!

The game plan is that the worms will have a warm bedding and a food source ALL winter
and this will all break down by spring, not to mention LOTS of worm castings and cocoons.

When I get my 20 foot "flow through" worm bin built it will sit right next to this ring so all
I have to do is "lift the ring" and move it away then with a flat nose shovel I can
scoop all this up and toss it into the new raised worm bin. Once the worms are in there it
will be the same as my present worm bin where I can harvest castings from bottom but
the worms stay in the bin above.

Just had to share this...because after 4 years I am finally getting some calls from real
businesses wanting my castings in large amounts. At $1.50 a pound this might be my
dream come true. AND I will NOT allow any worms to be fed with food that is GMO

Quality castings is my number 1 goal see? I want to keep the track record good and clean.

JEFF