Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Let's see your worm bins!

If you have some, give us some pics. If you don't they are easy to make. I have 3 in my basement in an out of the way corner. One I bought, the other two I made. They are easy to make.

Here is what I did. I got some bins from Walmart for cheap. Be sure to get ones with very tight fitting lids, or work out a way to make them fit tight with clamps or something. The worms will escape if you don't and your housemates will curse you when they step on a bunch of gooey worms in their bare feet!

In the bottom bin I put some stand-offs to allow for a place for the worm tea to collect, and to allow air to get into the worm bin. I used left over TREX runners from a deck project:

I have a 2" hole saw and I punch one hole in the lid and a bunch of holes in the bottom of the 2nd tub. I line it with the plastic mesh cloth I get from the craft store they use to hook rugs with:

I glue this in place:

Do the same with the bottom of the worm bin.

Now take a bunch of black & white newspaper, shred it, and soak it in water. Let the excess drip off and fill the bottom of the tub about 3" deep with it. This should be fluffed up. I cover this with a mixture of compost, and coco coir. Wet this down well and add worms.

This is a peek inside my worm bin:

I feed them a mixture of spent grain, coffee grounds, and non-meat table scraps and egg shells. The scraps and shells are run through a food processor first.

Add food as they eat it. Keep the dirt moist, but not wet. Fluff up the dirt before you add more food.

Here is the bin closed up:

Mine never smells and doesn't get flies. Mites show up now and then, but they are easy to trap will mellon rind and the fry snap them up greedily.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Re: Let's see your worm bins!

Nice worm condo..this is what I need to do I have not made my bin and it needs to get done. Thanks for the tip I think that screen is just the ticket.
    ""we are what we eat""

Members

Your using 2 tubs then 1 is in the other?

I understand most of how you make them but couple of questions.

1. you have a bunch of holes in the bottom of the 2nd tub ok so second tub is the top
    tub with the worms in it? And what does that screen do just keeps worms from falling
    through all the holes?

2. how do you get the tea out?

I want to be able to have it like that fella had his where he turns a valve and out drains some
    tea. I suppose I can make a bulkhead fitting and silicone a valve in.
    ""we are what we eat""

Yes, the bottom bin is a normal bin. The stand-offs allow air circulation and a way for the water to drain. I don't use a spigon. I just lift out the worm bin and poor out the worm tea.

The screen keeps most of the worms out, but little ones go don't. When I dump the tea I put them back in the bin.

If you want a spigot you can buy one from http://www.USPLASTICS.COM and put your bins up on concrete blocks.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/varian ... 5Fid=16490

Thanks for the pics and the narrative, that was pretty easy to understand. Seems like I need to stock up on that plastic mesh. You all are using it for everything from Bio filters ro worm bins. By the way what kind if glue are you using? Again thanks for the info.

I'm using hot glue, but aquarium sealand works too, it just takes longer.

I lay the plastic in place, then work the hot glue through it to make a secure connection.

Members

wolfracer I found that screen at a craft store called "Michael's" it is really cheap.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/home
    ""we are what we eat""

I get mine from walmart.

Members

Who knew that Walmart was the aquaponics superstore!

They actually have most everything, or can order it. Walmart on line has a feature where you can buy it there and pick up at your local store. I got my fish food bins (dog food actually) that way.