Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Moving Fingerlings

That won't cycle your tank. Cycling requires ammonia from either live or chemical sources and a source of good bacteria. Just water from a pond is unlikey to get it going.

In the case you are in, green water is good. It will rapidly absorb the ammonia produced by your fish and it may keep it low enough to save their lives until the bed actually cycles. Do nothing to discourage the green water. Watch for fish at the surface and increase the air stones.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Hi Badflash,

Thanks for the advice. Could you be more specific as to exactly what I need to do to initiate and promote this "cycling". I don't really understand that.

I thought that I was providing the ammonia by adding the water from their old tank which they have been living in for two months with only aquarium filters and had read in other internet info that water from a living, small pond would contain the necessary bacteria.

From what I have read heterotrophic bacteria convert fish waste into nitrites. Then autotrophic bacteria turn ammonia into nitrates. Which do I need to add?

Help I am assuming that my fish are still alive because they are not floating belly up, but I can no longer see them in a 3 foot deep tank. It is freaking me out.

Best Wishes,
    Tom Cloud
    Filaree Farm
    WSDA Certified Organic
    Okanogan WA

Quote Originally Posted by Celticloud
    exactly what I need to do to initiate and promote this "cycling". I don't really understand that.
    Hi Tom, with the fish 'in the tank' .....you are initiating and promoting the cycling.

Wish I had more advice, the only thing I can think off is...Keep the feeding to a minunmum.

Quote Originally Posted by Celticloud
    I am assuming that my fish are still alive because they are not floating belly up, but I can no longer see them in a 3 foot deep tank. It is freaking me out.
    This is a tuff time....I remember when I went out side and my tank was as green as pea soup.. I was 'fishless' cycling at that time with humonia, but it still freaked me out.

You have been reading on cycling....of course I have no idea, what all you have read(?) Here's a few links. Most of the info, may be 'after the fact'....in your case. Hope these may help anyway...
    The Nitrogen Cycle & Nitrifying Bacteria Facts
    Ammonia - The Silent Killer
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

All I can add is that my system really didn't start cycling unitl I added fish. I also had an issue with algae but blocking light exposure to the tank solve that problem.

See if you can net a few and check on them.

You need either ammonia or living things to get the process going and keep it going. The best place to get the bacteria is from an established system, but it will start on its own. The method I like best is to use larger turtles. The bad water doesn't hurt them and they poop & pee all the time.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

you will probably get a trace of the bacteria necessary to start the cycling, but i don't know how big an impact that the low volume of the bacteria would have.. i cycled my sys for 2 weeks before adding fish

Members

Thanks again to all

I kept tank covered yesterday, withheld all food. I am filtering tank splash hoses with old socks. Water is clearing somewhat, orangish brown, rather than green. This morning I could see that fish are indeed alive Pedama Kankashala

They were just sitting motionless a few inches above the bottom. When I sprinkled a bit of feed they began darting. I am still withholding feed. They're probably eating algae, right and keeping sun block boards covering tank.

Maybe everything will be okay.

Best Wishes,
    Tom
    Filaree Farm
    WSDA Certified Organic
    Okanogan WA

Members

it'll be fine before you know it!

Members

Me again. I bought a 4 oz bottle of Stress Zyme from API. I have read that this is the heterotrophic bacteria which does not live in the media. So I assume I should add this right to the fish tank.

Am I right?

Best Wishes,
    Tom
    Filaree Farm
    WSDA Certified Organic
    Okanogan WA

Members

i wouldn;'t add any aquarium products without extensive research, do you plan on eating the fish or just display fish? ap'ers are looking for bacteria to establish in the growing media to process the ammonia and create the rites and rates
    things to look at would be how it affects not just the fish, but the plants as well..aquaria is a whole different ballgame when you are raising edibles