Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: Low Wind Hybrid Wind Solar Power Generators

Cool, but at $3K for an 800 watt generator and inverter+shipping, it isn't on my list.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

You have to back-feed to the grid to qualify. The system also has to be certified by the Good Old Boys in Albany. Most of the systems are about $30K with a $15K rebate. I'm not zoned for a 150' tower needed.

Members

Hey badflash, I think you are giving NY a bad rap! (and this from a California kid<g>)

Check out http://www.powernaturally.org/progra...incentives.asp

For a 1 KW generator they give your vendor $3,500, and the tallest tower seems to be only 100', and in the "On-Site / Small Wind Incentives" section, they indicate that if you don't make enough juice to feed the grid you can use their electricity . . .

1000 watts could sure run a lot of water pumps and air pumps!

I hadn't looked at that page for some time. Looks like they have updated a few things. It would be very hard for me to contribute to a bad name for NY. We are, after all, the California of the East and will follow you into default.

Anyhoo- can't do an 80' tower either. I will look into seeing if they would OK putting one on the ridge of my roof though.

1500 watts is what I need for pumps and blowers minimum, but that is certainly something I am entertaining.

Members

I bought 2 cheap wind turbines on ebay for $200 each, they are made with treadmill motors so they are rated at a max output of 850 watts although I will rarely if ever see that much output from them. We do get some high winds on occasion so it is possible.
    Anyway I am re-doing them a little, upgrading the hub and blades.
    I have them set to charge 2 12volt batteries and then dump into a grid tie unit. I have 4 300 watt invertors attached to each of the two turbines. I was also able to find them at a decient price about $240 for all 8 grid tie invertors.
    I also have a solar panel array hooked in as well but it is a small one with 4 60 watt panels and 3 5 watt panels. right now they are connected in series but I intend to get another 5 watt panel so that I have 2 sets of 4 panels, this way they can be wired in series parallel to double the output. The voltage regulator will shift it back down to 15 volts from the 24 they will each produce. but I am considering simply hooking them to another grid tie invertor since it can handle up to 26 volts input.
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

I'd love to have wind generators here ..... we have a lot of wind ..... I've looked into DIY wind generators, but so far, I've found nothing that will fit on the roof of the saloon/shop/warehouse, and I think there would probably be something illegal if I were to put one on the top of an abandoned power pole that sits in my yard .
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

Many will still work for a roof installation
    Missouri Wind and Solar is a good source of information there
    You can use the same mounting equipment as you would use to mount an old fashioned antenna.
    You need to be careful in your blade choice as you want low noise and of course low vibration.
    Again I would recomend missouri wind and solar, the hub I just bought from them was absolutely perfectly balanced! The blades are sharp, flexable, and well built for noise reduction and speed.
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Members

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    Cool, but at $3K for an 800 watt generator and inverter+shipping, it isn't on my list.
    It is worthy to have an wind solar power generators. At the moment we are benefited with Solar Panels Townsville is so astounding.

Post edited by Admin
    keep moving.

Members

I think you should try it once may be this will help you in reducing pricing cost of energy, my friend spend 20k$ on 2k watt solar panel. They are going to get their spending money which they thought help them in saving energy.

Members

Quote Originally Posted by jackalope
    I'd love to have wind generators here ..... we have a lot of wind ..... I've looked into DIY wind generators, but so far, I've found nothing that will fit on the roof of the saloon/shop/warehouse, and I think there would probably be something illegal if I were to put one on the top of an abandoned power pole that sits in my yard .
    You could build a vertical axis wind turbine! Here's a great instructable: click.

Small enough to go on a roof!