More good eating

RedClaw (Cherax quadricarinatus) is another species of freshwater crayfish from Australia. They are to native to the rivers of North West Queensland and the Northern Territory. Sometimes referred to as the Giant Australian Freshwater Crayfish due to the impressive size, up to 16 inches in length and meat yield, they have been known to grow to 1½ pound.

Australian Red Claws get their name from the red patch found on the male's claws. They are another species that do not burrow in the ground, nor do they attack each other, except right after a molt which makes them a great choice for Aquaculture. Redclaws grow at least twice as fast as other crawfish and become much larger. After only 9 months in a pond they can grow to just under twelve inches long!

Red Claws can not be raised with Louisiana crawfish. Louisiana crawfish carry a plague that kills Australian crawfish. Australian crawfish can not live in water temperatures below 50 degrees. A simple, inexpensive, diet for them is half rabbit pellets, half catfish food. If you are going to keep them in an aquarium, feed sparingly, always use de-chlorinated water and they don't need salt in their water either.

Re: More good eating

Crayfish Plague is shared by most North American (NA) crayfish. The European species have almost entirely be wiped out by it, and replaced with NA species.

Never mix crayfish species, especially cherax. No good will come of it.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

I have not found the red claw to be all that hardy.
    I put them into 1litre soda bottles that I melted several holes into for water circulation, each bottle is set up on a stringer with 8 to a stringer and I fill each one weekly with grass and some meat scraps of some sort or another.
    They are temperature sensitive and I lost quite a few before I finally dropped the water level in my tub pond to around 100 gallons to make it easier to keep warm enough.
    I probally lost 40 or more while fighting temperatures before I gave up and dropped the water level.
    Since I paid $4 ea that was an expensive lesson....

I am still hoping that these will grow and reproduce, but I am concerned that I may have all males left, only time will tell for sure.

I tried to put 5 or so into baskets with pieces of pvc pipe to hide in but after a few months I only had 1 in one basket and 2 in another... so much for getting along!

this is an experiment in progress so only time will tell...
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Members

Rainmaker, I've moderated your post, because the spammers will drive you nuts if you put your email addy out there on the forum, there's always bots crawling the site ..... I'll send it along to badflash so he still gets your message. ...... next time, it would be advisable to use the PM

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker
    Badflash, What is your website for ordering tilapia ?