Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

Re: hello from n california

This thread hasn't been touched in awhile, but I thought I'd try to see if I could see how any Northern California Aquaponics farmers are doing.

I'm interested in starting an aquaponics system in my backyard. Thinking of purchasing a greenhouse and designing my own system. I love growing veggies and have fish tanks so I thought I might as well combined them.

I've been reading that you cannot have tilapia in northern california. Would anybody recommend an edible fish similar to the tilapia? I was hoping for tilapia, but I might be out of luck.

Thanks!

WELCOME!!! I wonder if you could do trout there.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Hi kyledwards....welcome....

I don't remember 'exactly' where the 'line' is....for wether you can raise tilapia or not, in you part of CA ? Some of the other CA folks should know.....unless you already know kyledwards (?)

Maybe, some kind of bluegill or catfish ?
    I just bought a few channel catfish. On the positive side...They are more tollerant of cooler waters, then tilapia. Negitive side....they grow slower and I'm not set up to breed them....I'll have to keep buying fingerlings.

Keep us up-dated on what your doing/planning....and we 'love' pictures !
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Thank for the quick response! I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (Concord CA).

Weather from wiki:
    Official data from the National Weather Service cooperative station in Concord shows average January temperatures are a maximum of 57.2°F and a minimum of 41.6°F. Average July temperatures are a maximum of 87.8°F and a minimum of 58.2°F. There are an average of 45.0 days with highs of 90°F (32°C) or higher and 3.8 days with lows of 32°F (0°C) or lower. The highest recorded temperature was 110°F on July 23, 2006. The lowest record temperature was 24°F on December 23, 1998.

Tilapia sounds like the best fish to breed and eat. Trout might work, but I'd assume I'd have to stock the tank.

Again thanks in advance.

Members

Thanks Ernie! I will definitely check out that url. Now I know I can get tilapia it's time to start researching this forum, looking at DIY systems, youtube, and books.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie
    Quote Originally Posted by kyledwards
    I've been reading that you cannot have tilapia in northern california. Would anybody recommend an edible fish similar to the tilapia? I was hoping for tilapia, but I might be out of luck.
    Here's my views on fish in our great state of Colliefornia. There is a difference between closed system home aquarium usage laws and importation, production and sale laws.

Isn't a backyard aquaponics system just a big outdoor aquarium? It's not a pond, as it is not in contact w/ the ground and the grow beds are just your filter. No water changes are made into the sewers, ditches, or waterways. If you don't sell, trade or give away fish your system is contained.

You can't import restrictive species. End of story.

That said, people culture tilapia all over the state. If you keep searching Craig's List you'll probably find some near you. i use an automated Craig's List reader and have used a query set up to scan for tilapia and got hits all over the state.

If you search Craig's List for tilapia in San Diego you'll find at least 3 or breeders selling fish. One is a pro and is where i got my fish. She may ship fish to other parts of the state. i do not know for sure. Her URL is mybackyardfishfarm

AFAIK, Overnight shiping inside the state is not inspected.

That said, i've had many boxes of fish sent to me from AquaBid from all over the country w/o problems. i gotten them from UPS, Fedex, and US mail.

Members

Hi kyledwards, I'm also in the SF Bay Area. Just wondering if you ended up getting tilapia and how things turned out.

Welcome!

Members

welcome,

i live in San Jose, not doing tilapia, but koi and goldfish.

Members

Hi rfeiller,

Glad to see another Bay Area person on the forum. How big is your system and what kinds of things do you grow in the winter?

Qaz