Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Trying to feed the people.

Some of you may know the issues with water delivery in Central , California. This has menat up to 80% unemployment in some cities. Food banks can not keep up and government help... well you know about that one. I am one of the lucky farmers who has water and along with a few others want to help those who had helped us for years and now are out of a job.

My contribution is a 96' * 30' green house that I am not using right now. Would like to creat an aquaponics system and grow fish and veggies. My thinking is Basil, Tarragon, Persian Cucumbers, Tomatoes and Egg plants. If anyone has the designs for the size I need or any suggestions please send it our way. We are a bunch of morons when it comes to Aquaponics thingi ))
    Thank you
    Michael
    It is not what you eat or where you eat, it is who you eat with. Meself

Re: Trying to feed the people.

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, please standby, the answers will be forth coming.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

TY JC. I hope to get this thing going before the winter months.

Hi Gherty...

That's very cool to be doing that.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

ty for the kind words. I am just sad to see how many dealers of this technology are there to rip people off.
    Being a farmer I know what a pump costs. When I look at the equipment they want to sell and charge 4 times what it should be... well thats when I get mad.

Welcome gherty! Good luck with your system. Are you thinking media based flood and drain or u.v.i style raft system? Power consumption is something to consider as well as the cost of pumps, beds, rocks, stands and a whole list of other things that are jacked up 4 times the price of what they should be. It takes a lot of basil and tomatoes to break even.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Members

Not sure what the heck we endup doing. But will lok into advise from a couple of univercities. talked to portablefarms guy, he thinks he is kind to everyone by selling them eqipment. And his pricing does not include $95 per call if I need support after sale. Oh 3 phone calls are ok though...!!!

Not sure what this people think, but I can tell you I am tired of looking at TV and seeing the adds that fight hunger in Africa, when all they have to do is visit the farm lands of california these days.

Cmon boys and girls, put your caps on bsckwards and lets get to work. need your help here. Any design help?

Welcome to the forum Gherty, glad you're aboard! What you're proposing is a great venture, and I hope it works! I'm going to try to put someone in touch with you about this .... one question .... what kind of fish are you going to use? The reason I ask is that if you don't live South of the Techapis, California won't let you use Tilapia in your aquaponics from the last info they sent me.
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

I would look at pictures posted of some of the bigger systems and get ideas from those. Most of the "How To" is right there.

A lot of people here are fond of the rubbermaid feeding troughs and above ground pools seem to work well. I would see what you have available locally and start with that.

One other thought, I've read a lot here on the forums that Aquaponics is modular. Maybe start with one system a quarter of your greenhouse and then just replicate it once you get some experience. That way you get started and can ramp up as you go. You appear to be anxious about getting going but a bit system may take as much time to get going as slowly ramping up. Actually even a quarter of your greenhouse is huge compared to any system I might make.
    Cowboys never quit!

Members

Jack: I am trying to talk the Merced County officials of the Fish and Game into working with us. Since this is totaly closed loop, I am hoping they would see the light, otherwise I will break the law and go to jail for trying to feed those who need it...what can I say gov by the people for the people, right?

Emm, good idea, but I am trying to see if economy of scales works for us. We will be paying out of our pockets for this and it is not tax deductable either. so trying to make sure I can still afford it next year. Your idea is a good one though, may try the small version first. Reason for my attempts to get going quick is the great need I see around me.

Looked at a lot of the pictures and have already a manual for a system. It is from NCSU web site. trying to trouble shoot potential problems right now.