Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

howdy from another northeastern ohioan

hello all, and hello again Big Al..

i'm a few blocks from lake erie in northeast ohio, started my first system in may, a 110gal ft, 2 55 gallon barrels in half for 4 growbeds, based on barrelponics by Travis H., i made it in two pairs so that i can bring one pair indoors over winter and hopefully breed some fish
    i started the system with humonia, after it was cycling i added minnows and 2 weeks ago this saturday added 15 hybrid bluegill, 2 dozen softshell crayfish, and 1 sucker fish..
    i was kind of hoping that the bg would eat the minnows but they're getting too big (the minnows that is)
    i'm hoping to get 20 to 30 perch in a few weeks.
    anyways, looking forward to learning more here!
    anyone here grow duckweed? and if so,, flowing water, aerated, still.. what works for you?

Re: howdy from another northeastern ohioan

Hi Kieth, here's a link to some duckweed....more then you'll ever want to knw....

http://www.fao.org/Ag/AGAInfo/resources ... DW/Dw2.htm

I'm growing it. It perfers very little water flow.
    You can see, nothing fancy requied.The 3/4 inch supply line has a cap on it, below the water level. I drilled 2 small holes in it....1/4 inch or less

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

hi keith, nice to see your system is moving along. how are the bluegill doing. have you noticed any changes yet. just wondering. my system should be flowing by wednesday. well anyhow nice to see you.

Members

lost 2 of them,, one was sluggish, and floating the next day, he looked beat up pretty badly... the other tried jumping out of the tank and got tangled in the bird netting i put over the top.

last night when i was standing next to the tank, i was able to count 14 bg.. they're not wild about the floating pellet food... they love worms though! i've gotta get out to thompson to the feed mill out there, but in the meantime, the worms are making them grow...

oh,, i use maxicrop with iron, about a cap full a week, i was putting 1/2 in each flood barrel right after a drain, but after reading on another msg board, a user put a cap directly in the ft.. i tried that and the bluegill seemed to get really active, kind of aggressive.. i don't think i;ll do that again!

what do you plan on stocking? and have you found a source?

Members

hi keith, sorry to hear you lost a couple bluegill. but a ap friend told us your not doing it right until you killed some fish and he's been doing this for a while. and he raises thousands of fish a year. so dont dispair i'm sure your doing fine. were planning on yellow perch or hybrid bluegill. so far the guy in claridon is the only local fish farm that ive heard of that has perch. stopping there tommorrow to see if you bought him out or not . just kidding. i'll let you know. we'll be flowing water tommorrow also. thanks Big Al

keith_r, Welcome to the forum, good to have you here!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

hi keith, how are you. i talked to butch yesterday he said he was out of perch for at least a month. hope you had some ordered so you can get yours going. my system is up and running . later Big Al

Members

nope, i didn't get any..

bummer

let me know if you find some anywhere else.. there's a fish guy out in thompson, he had the hybrid bluegill, not sure what else..

there's a fish farm in new philadelphia that should have perch, but it's a bit of a drive for me..

Members

good morning keith, how are you. the fish farm in thompson is willow valley and has been there for years. my brother and there son grew up together. theres one in andover that im going to check with and i'll let you know. yes new philly is about 2-2 1/2 hours away. thanks Big Al