Thread: Another Blue

Another Blue

The Marron: Margaret River (hairy) marron (Cherax tenuimanus) and smooth marron (Cherax cainii). They are another blue crayfish only this one comes from South Western Australia. The smooth variety seems to be the one of choice for aquaculture.

Marron make excellent eating, very similar in taste to lobster. Since they are a freshwater species they are far less salty making for an overall sweeter taste.

Unlike some other similar freshwater species (except for the Red Claw, that they do not burrow which makes them an excellent choice for tank rearing. Also, they do not suffer from terminal growth, as do most other shellfish, resulting in the fact that even very large and old specimens maintain excellent eating texture quality.

They can be prepared in a variety of ways, such as boiling or grilling, and again similarly to lobster, the shells will turn a bright red colour when cooked. Marron are considered a luxury product and are the subject of a developing aquaculture industry in Western Australia and in other Australian states. It florishes best between 53 to 72 degrees F. and can reach lenghts of up to 16 inches so yes I would say there would be plenty of meat there for a good meal.

Re: Another Blue

Are the Aussie 'dads' any good for Aquaponics? As in; are they caniballistic, where you can't raise enough of them in a tank so their waste is few and far between as far as nutrients for a grow-bed?
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

From what I've been reading on backyard aquaponics, they do great in aquaponics setups but unfortunately I haven't seen anyone in the US who has them.

I'm guessing you can ONLY find them in Australia.

tayl0r Welcome to DIYAquaponics! Glad to have you aboard!

Members

Thanks Jackalope, good to be here.

I really wish we could get Marron here in the US. They seem awesome to raise and it would be nice to have some fresh lobster to go with the fish. I'm not a big fan of crawfish.

Quote Originally Posted by tayl0r
    Thanks Jackalope, good to be here.

I really wish we could get Marron here in the US. They seem awesome to raise and it would be nice to have some fresh lobster to go with the fish. I'm not a big fan of crawfish.
    I don't eat any kind of shellfish, clams, oysters, shrimp, prawns, crawdads, or lobsters .... they're all bottom feeders ..... ..... so when the other fish gotta go, guess who eats it I'm raising Marmorkrebs now .... for fish food !

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope
    I don't eat any kind of shellfish, clams, oysters, shrimp, prawns, crawdads, or lobsters .... they're all bottom feeders ..... ..... so when the other fish gotta go, guess who eats it I'm raising Marmorkrebs now .... for fish food !
    Kinda reminds me of something Archie Bunker (All in the Family) said when Edith tried to feed him Cow's Tongue. "I ain't eat'n notin what comes out of a cow mout!". Edith asks sweetly "What else can I get you?" Archie says, "How about an egg?".

What goes into an animal or says little or nothing about how tasty or heathy it is too eat. After all, we put manuer on crops, tilapia eat left over poo several times, the list goes on.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

LOL thanks for the laugh!