Members

What am I missing?

So I get a little obsessive at times and my mind is going about 100mph right now. The topic: Aquaculture. So if you could look at this little graphic and answer a couple question, I would appreciate it.

1. Would this work?
    2. What fundamentals am I missing? (Besides fish.. )
    3. How many feeder type goldfish would this support?
    4. Is this a decent (and cheap) way to 'test the waters'?

Thanks for looking,

NM

By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail.

Benjamin Franklin

Re: What am I missing?

Hi Nomad_Medic....welcome.

The siphon is a 'loop siphon"

You may already know.....your water level in the fish tank will be going up and down a lot as the GB fills and drains. Don't want the goldies sitting on the bottom....
    Not sure how many fish....if they are little 'feeders' ...maybe 2 dozen or so.

Cheap way to go......the BIG draw back is , the more water volume, the more stable it will be ( Ph, ammonia, nitrates,ect.) Make sure to buy a good test kit.

Some of the folks with more experiance may be able to point out some other things.

Good luck.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Dave's comments are right on except for one thing, as I see it. Goldies need about 10 gallons per .... I've killed about 45 of them . If you want to start out with something cheap, I'd use feeder Guppies ... or minnows .... much better in crowded conditions! The design is a good one, I just wouldn't use Goldies for the fish! Just my 2 centavos
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Nomad, if you don't already have the aquarium.....keep an eye on 'Craigs list'. You might find a great deal on a 50 gal.

One other thing, besides it obviously being heavy.....your sides of the tote will want to bulge. You may want to do some kind of a frame 'around it'.

Instead of river rock, use hydroton, it's really light....so would your wallet after you buy it.... You could do a search for a local hydroponic stores and price it. The stand , to hold the weight of the tote with hydroton/water, would be cheaper/safer.
    With the water and 'rocks', figure 10 pounds (+) per gallon in your rubbermaid tote. I don't know what the water/hydroton would weigh...has to be a good percentage less (?)
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Thanks for the Craig's list tip. I have an old 20 gallon tank around the house somewhere but I'll keep an eye out....but....

I am cheap.... That is one of the things that is appealing to me with these types of systems. I have most of what I need and what I still need isn't costly.

Funny you should mention the hydroton. The cost of those has been one of my excuses for not playing with hydroponics they last few times I have looked into it. (Did I mention I am cheap?)

Speaking of low costs, how should I figure out the size of the pump I need for this or any sized system? Looking at Amazon and Chinamart online, I can pick up a variety for under $20. I also know I can get a non-submersible one at Harbor freight pretty cheap (650gph for $30) though I imagine I'd have a huge mess with that bad-boy.
    By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail.

Benjamin Franklin

Members

i bought food grade 55 gallon barrels for 15 bucks each.
    doesn't get any cheaper then that.

pumps....general rules for sizes.

-Move the amount of the fish's water( in the tank) at least once per hour.
    -Need to know the 'head' of the water being lifted.....

measured from the surface of the water in the (sump) ...in your drawing, the surface of the fish tank, to...how high your pumping in 'feet'.
    -Your pipe will 'add' some restriction of flow, especially, once it builds up a bio-film inside of it.....
    -this adds to the 'head'
    -over size your pipe slightly in size....this will help both problems.

You take the total 'head' and the gallons of your tank, Then you start looking at the pumps 'curve performance chart' .

The 'gallons per hour', on the box/or ads most likely will be for.... NO HEAD HEIGHT.
    The pump may be marked as moving 50 gals an hour, but when you try to pump "up" to... say 4 feet, it may just dribble out ...or not at all.

Here's a example ....look for the performance curve chart at this link (s)....
    http://www.aquaticeco.com/images/static ... es/MD2.gif
    http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... %20pumps/6

Aquatic eco has smaller pumps, they have the performance charts 'in the catalog', but not always 'online' (on some). Most often online, a pop-up window asks ,if you need help. Or, you can always call them.

With out the chart your buying 'blind'....even with a chart it's an informed guess. How 'cheap' is buying twice ?
    Better to go 'bigger' (with in reason)....you can always divert, part of the flow to a 'spray bar' , to help add oxygen to the water.....or add more grow beds later on....

When I bought my first pump....I regretted not buying the next size bigger.... I was trying to save a few 'bucks'.

"When" you do a larger system....then you'll want to compare the wattage useage, on the pumps too.