Hello Everyone,

New member here. Just getting started in aquaponics. I have had descent luck with hydroponics (tomatoes and cantaloupe) over the last couple of years. I really like the idea of aquaponics and decided to give this a try. My systems are all indoors.

My aquaponics system consists of a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank and a 4'x8'x10.5" grow bed (raft system) with a 40mil rubber pond liner. I also have 2 1000 watt lights above the grow bed. At this point the system has been cycling for about a week (since Memorial Day 2010) with no fish or plants. Recently the water has turned cloudy (white), not sure why. According to what I have been reading, it is most likely a bacteria bloom. Hopefully it will clear up soon. I have not added any chemicals.

The latest test of the water showed a water temperature of 72deg F, a ph around 7, ammonia level around 8 (not sure where all this could have come from), 0 or little nitrites and 0 nitrates.

I used our well water that runs through an inline RO filter to fill the system. The source water test showed 0 ammonia. So, again I am not sure what could be the source of the ammonia levels I currently have. I am using a master test kit from API that I bought from a local pet store.

I will post a few pic as soon as I figure out the best way to do that.

Thanks