Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Members

Re: The new school system...

Agreed on all points. I do completely understand that this will need to be checked on daily and that person will most likely have to be me. I also understand the ramifications on my life as a result... I knew that going in to this project.

In regards to the battery back up and such -- they are needed and I am not going to argue with the utility. But as I originally said -- can you all help me DESIGN this system? I have given you the parameters that I am currently working under, if they need to be changed, then I can try to make changes. However, if we operate under the assumption that I am going to place this system inside of a 14x16x10 greenhouse, can I please ask for some assistance in designing a system that will maximize the usable space while allowing me to retain a space for teaching?

I am currently working on a CHOP system that will encompass at least two tiers of growbeds in order to maximize my usable space. I will get the design into Google Sketch-Up as soon as I can...

GreenPhoenix

I already posted the link for the barrelponics system. It is a perfect beginners system and is cheap and scalable. Take baby steps before you start running. The kids and Admin will love it too as it is made mostly from recycled material and can be used in 3rd world countries.

Give it a serious look.
    [video:1y5uwvwe]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwMEulvJ2Ps [/video:1y5uwvwe]
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Just checking on Arizona to see how the school project was coming...anything up and running yet?
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

I think you need to consider a much larger greenhouse than 14x16. When school starts back up, have 20 students stand in an area arms length apart and see how much space just the students take up. I think you need at least 20x40. West Wood high school in Mesa AZ has/had quite a aquaponics program. Maybe you can get with them and check it out. ( i assume you are in phoenix az). Anyway, good luck with it, hope it works out.

Hi Flying Z......good point about the area needed.
    Reading 'elsewhere'....she has it inside the classroom. She's in TX, if I remeber correctly(?)
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Hi Flying Z......good point about the area needed.
    Reading 'elsewhere'....she has it inside the classroom. She's in TX, if I remeber correctly(?)
    Where did you get the SHE idea ? Adam is a funny girls name .You did get the Texas right though
    Mike

....I don't think GreenPhoenix ID 'herself' as Adam here at DIY (?) That'll teach 'her' to be more specific in the introductions.... :P
    Sorry about that GP....it's difficult to remeber everyone, especially when your reading 'elsewhere'

The one forum, 'down under' has the little gender symbol near the names....I like that, it helps.

Mike, you must of picked that up reading 'elsewhere' too....

I thought we did have a lady school teacher here one time asking for help ...?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

David
    You Forumholic
    Hmm I dont think I am on any forums that have sex symbols .
    Dont you know all the guys in Florida ? Us Texans stick together no matter where we gather
    Have A kind Day
    Mike

Hi, My name is Dave and I'm an AP forum addict....

They have the gender ID at the 'other' forum 'down under' Mike.

Members

Haha... yeah, I guess that I need to check in on this forum more often... I haven't been here in a while, and I come back to find out I have been re-assigned as a woman... Wow, talk about having some issues!

In response to what people are wondering about how things are going with my system at school - well the short version is that they are no longer willing to really entertain the idea of developing a program, so I can not expect any funding from them. Now I still have my modified barrelponic system, and (through a lucky contact) we will be adding approximately 75 Rainbow Trout into that system in about a week.... So hopefully, we can get some good growth and then be able to interest some parents in the program and get some funding that way.

In other news, I have gotten engaged and am planning to move into her house on the edge of Dallas. That means that I will be in the country and will be able to actually set up a large scale system and potentially even begin to do limited commercial operations. I say limited because I have decided that what my area really needs is an agency similar to what Will Allen is doing with Growing Power up in Wisconsin. So I want to work toward that goal -- creating and running an agency in the DFW area that will work to teach the general public about AP, to help families and individuals become more self-sufficient in their food production and also to provide good organic food at an affordable cost to low-income families in the area.

Anyone want to help me in that quest? I could certainly use all the help I could get!

Green Phoenix