Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: Drilling glass aquariums

I've drilled a few. I like 1" fittings. The bulkhead fitting you use will determine the size of the hole you need to drill. I got my fittings and drills from here:
    http://www.northcoastpets.com/bulkhead_fittings.htm

I use a bench press so the drill can be stabilized. Doing it by hand is too risky. My press has a movable table and I used wood cribbing to stabilize the tank. I got the rubber boot they sell to hold the coolant. Put some padding inside the tank so when the plug drops out it doesn't break the other side.

Be sure the tank side you drill in non-tempered glass, otherwise it will break. Be sure the tank is securely supported, provide coolant/lube for the bit. Drill slowly using light pressure. It should take at least 5 minutes to bore the hole.

Once it is drilled use carbide or diamond sandpaper to smooth the hole. Use a course grid, a medium grit and a fine grit. Get all the sharp edges. If you skip this step cracks will form and eventually cause the tank to leak.

That is pretty much it.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Hi Ernie...

Lots of videos on Utube.....some are better then others.
    I saw one vid, where the guy called the manufacture of the tank, because it was marked 'tempered glass-do not drill'. Turned out, only the 'bottom' of his tank was tempered. I wonder if mine is like that ?

I get my bulkheads from Aquatic eco-systems.
    They have several different ones to pick from...they come in different materials and confiigurations, and of course prices.
    I have used their 'economy bulkheads', which are abs plastic.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/search/0/bulkhead%20fittings

They also have 'tank fitting kits' which is a bulkhead with a strainer....

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... g%20kits/0

Here's the glass drill bits....looks like they have two different kinds, diamond or steel.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... l%20bits/0

Good luck....Let us know how it goes Ernie.....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Most tanks have tempered glass bottoms unless you special order. Most 10 gallons and up have non-tempered sides.

Members

I have successfully drill holes in aquariums with cheap diamond hole saws off of ebay. build a clay dam around the area you need the hole, fill it with water and work slowly. Put no pressure on the glass other than the weight of the drill and make sure you don't change the angle of the drill once you get into the glass. Don't ask what happens For bulkheads, I used male and female threaded pvc with a gasket on the water side of the glass and a little silicone to make sure there were no leaks. I have also used uniseals http://www.aussieglobe.com/uniseal3.htm, cheapest source, drill the hole insert the uniseal and stick the pipe through it. They work great on curved surfaces like barrels too.

Plumber's putty works great for the dam, lots of linseed oil in it to keep the lubricant inside the dam ..... I've never tried to use a drill press, but that would work better than having to try to keep the drill steady and plumb! I used to be a glazier, so it's kinda old hat to me, but if you're a newbie at it, follow the cautions that badflash and r3tic have mentioned! I've seen some good vids on You-Tube, but some of the others are downright scary
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

r3tic makes a great point about using male/female adapters....can't get less costly then that ! In case some one doesn't know...the electrical conduit pvc ones will screw together better, because of the 'straight' threads they have. Plumbing ones have tapered threads.

I use the uniseals too. They work pretty good.
    I find it takes a lot of 'pushing force' to get a pipe through them. I don't know if I would want to exert that much force on an aquarium (?)
    A 1 inch uniseal is about $2.50.....a 1 inch 'economy' bulkhead is about $5.50 (from Aquatic Eco systems) I'd rather spend a few extra $ then break a tank.

If you do use a uniseal...I put rubbing alcohol on the pipe, it does slide through better. Also bevel the end of the pipe slightly. ( I think TCLynx was the one that told me about those tricks)

Wow...the link r3tic gave, does have some great prices on uniseals.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

i've drilled several hundred holes for central systems in aquariums. i take two pieces of wood one with a hole the size of the bulkhead fitting and the backer board without holes. i've used botht he diamond tube bit and steel with carborundon. apply a little caulking under the piece of wood with the hole to seal the water in the hole the two pieces of wood are clamped over the glass. the blank piece on the inside the piece with a hole on the outside free hand the drill with the wood jig guiding the bit. works like a charm. never broke a tank.

Be real careful about the backing board. If you use any sort of clamp on the class you are drilling it will stress the glass and break it while drilling. I went to not backing the glass at all and just using a towel to catch the glass plug when it falls out.

Members

it's like anything else, you have to determine what pressure to use and how. the purpose of the back board is to prevent stress on the glass because it is supported on both faces, the way you described puts the pressure on only one side.

rich