Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intex Pools

Members

Re: Intex Pools

Would there be any other opitons besides grow beds?

Do you have to have a certain number of grow beds for the amount of water or could you just pump all to one smaller bed?

Would I biofilter with plants in it like help remove the nitrates?

Just wondering.

thanks

Members

sounds like you're looking for straight aquaculture.. have you looked at RAS?
    aquaponics is the purposeful use of growbeds to provide the filtration necessary to keep your fish happy and growing.
    a good starting point with aquaponics is 1gal of growbed to 1gal of fishtank (from what i have found the "ideal" ration is 2gal growbed to 1gal fishtank

you base how much fish you raise on the amount of growbed (filtration), 100 gallons of growbed can support 25lbs (grow out size) of fish

my small system is 1:1 (110 gal ft, 110 gal gb) getting nice production on veggies after adding 30 perch, it started with 15 bluegill and 2 dozen crays - i've since added 3 dozen crays and put them all in 1 tank, i was experimenting with duckweed (after i gave up on it it started growing like crazy) with a couple crays and a couple in each of my flood tanks - i based my system on travis hughey's "Barrelponics" manual, complete instructions to make a system using 1 barrel for the fishtank, 1 barrel for growbeds, and 1 barrel for the flood tank

Members

That may be more of what I am wanting to do then.

Do you have any pictures of your system?

How long have you been working with yours and do you have to change wanter much?

Used that exact pool as a tropical pond on my patio for a while. Made my own filter for it, just plugged the built in filter holes. Worked great unless you have large fish with teeth that like to taste everything(school of pacu) or long spines(2 foot hybrid catfish). At that point you too can possibly come home to a flood and dead fish. Other than that it worked very well, allowing my monsters to grow and swim.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

[quote="badflash"]In a system like I am building, these would go between the pool and the beds. quote]

I have one of these that came with my 8' Intex pool. With the pool, the pump runs externally. Do you know if this pump can be used as a submersible?

Quote Originally Posted by bsfman
    I have one of these that came with my 8' Intex pool. With the pool, the pump runs externally. Do you know if this pump can be used as a submersible?
    I REALLY doubt it. Examine the pump. You should see evidence of the air cooling mechanisms in place or any exposed wiring. If so, that's a clear NO!

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    I REALLY doubt it. Examine the pump. You should see evidence of the air cooling mechanisms in place or any exposed wiring. If so, that's a clear NO!
    I did that and that was why I asked about it. There is no exposed wiring or air vent in evidence. There are two small deep holes in the base that look they might be used for screws or rivets to hold the back plate on it but nowhere in the literature can I find a caution against using it IN the water. Better to be safe than sorry though. I think I'll plumb it externally in my soon-to-be-revamped system.

I just got a job to build a small 300 gallon system for education purposes for this company I teach for.

If I go with the 8 x 30 intex pool, what would you guys use for the Grow Beds? How many would I need and what size pump should I use? This is a bit larger than they would like but for that price why not. $50 bucks for 639 gallons seems like a good deal.

I was thinking of using 3 - 4 of the 50 gallon rubbermaid stock tanks for the growbeds and possibly adding a vortex and bio filter to increase our fish capacity.

This pool does not take up much more room than a 300 gallon tank, I guess I could go with an IBC but I think this pool would be better.

Thanks ahead of time guys,

I did that and that was why I asked about it. There is no exposed wiring or air vent in evidence. There are two small deep holes in the base that look they might be used for screws or rivets to hold the back plate on it but nowhere in the literature can I find a caution against using it IN the water. Better to be safe than sorry though. I think I'll plumb it externally in my soon-to-be-revamped system.
    Try looking up the model number or serial number if you can find one. That should come right up.

Try looking up the model number or serial number if you can find one. That should come right up.
    I just installed it externally. Workin' like a champ! The hardest part was coming up with fittings to match the inlet and outlet on the pump and the drain on the fish tank. I sure wish they made pumps that would accept standard PVC fittings. I get sick of buying weird sized, expensive vinyl tubing and hose clamps just so I can step the outlets up or down into standard plumbing.