Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bunk Feeders

Bunk Feeders

Give these & check with your local farm supply. They looks to be perfect for grow beds. Some have weep holes that need to be plugged & then drilled for drainage, but the weep holes could be used with a flood timer, but I fear they would plug up. I think cheaper ones may have no weep holes. They looks to come in 10" depths up to 10' long.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Re: Bunk Feeders

That is one of the things (stucco) Jon and his wife, Cat, were nice enough to give me when I started. The metal stand is pretty strong. I think you can get replacement liners too.
    This is a picture, from when I was first getting set up.

Jon said, if I put rock/hydrotron in it , to lay boards across the metal cross bracing , so that the bottom of liner would not sag.
    I used 'plant modules' in mine to grow the vegies, I have a constant flow of water, aprox 3 inches deep.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Looks like these could work for grow-out tanks for tilapia too.

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    Looks like these could work for grow-out tanks for tilapia too.
    That's a great idea Badflash !
    I just measured the one I have.....figured it would hold, just over 90 gals. That's 'if' you made a lid and filled it within an inch or so of the top.
    The base of the stand is a little wider then the trough, but still wouldn't take up too much floor space.
    The price I found, for new ones, was a little over $100..... at one of the 'big chain' farm stores.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

hey, I am curious.... what are the dimensions on that trough? I can think of an application to use it as a grow out tank for fw prawns in conjunction with dwc aquaponics.......

Phoenix

Or Red Claws...

Hi Phoenix....

'Outermost' dimensions......Length (of trough) 10', width (of legs) 33 1/2"

'Inside' dimensions of the trough's..... 'bottom'.....length 9'-3", width 13"
    'Top'................. 9-6", ....... 21"

Depth of trough (aprox) 11"

Overall height..... 18 1/2 "

Members

I just looked at the nuk feeders at the local supply store. The plastic is so thin that gravel or water would tear theough it. In order to have either, I'd have to do some serious reinforcement. The price was good though.

Hi txdurk, welcome to the forum...

The guy that gave me mine....removed the plastic tub, then laid some boards across the metal braces of the stand, then replaced the tub and added media.
    He said when he tried without the boards, the plastic bottom bowed down between the supports.
    The plastic on mine is pretty tuff stuff.

Do we have a link on these? My local store doesn't have, or doesn't understand what I am asking for.
    These have a lot of different applications.

Thanks.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."