Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the farm

Members

Re: Around the farm

I check the PH all the time. I added sea shells to my filter the other week and it didnt even change the PH at all. I was hoping it would bring it down to 6-6.5 but the PH is always around 7. I live in the country and I'm on well water, which is 7.0 PH.

There are alot of springs around here so we have very good water. Tomorrow I will be jumping into one of them, been a long time since i've cooled down in a blue hole.

I work outside doing AC work....it's been in the high 100's with the humidity added in.... ....I'd go into shock if I jumped in one.....

My lettuce especially, just sat there, when I was at 7 or higher PH.....It really started to grow at 6.5.

I have a really big plastic cup. I clamp it to my swirll filter. I have a small hole drilled in the bottom. I fill it mostly with water and add a small amount of muratic acid. I add about a 1/4 of a cup ...my system's total water is about 1,000 gals.

A little changes it more then I thought it would. I made a few goldfish float, the first time I added some... ....without the 'cup trick'
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Goldfish Float...is that similar to an ice cream float only with goldfish on top instead of a cherry? Doesn't really sound to refreshing or appetizing to me, but to each his own.... I'll just have a chocolate malt please...and hit it heavy on the malt...I like mine strong...
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

....maybe I should of said ....they were resting on their sides.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Shells bring pH up, not down. To go down you need acid. Nothing wrong with a pH of 7 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by swamp creek farms
    I check the PH all the time. I added sea shells to my filter the other week and it didnt even change the PH at all. I was hoping it would bring it down to 6-6.5 but the PH is always around 7. I live in the country and I'm on well water, which is 7.0 PH.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

7 is neutral, neither acid or base. Although dufflight pointed out that it might have unintended consequences to the fish, 2 asprin tablets to a gallon of water to drop it from 8 to 6. You'd only need a bottle of 200 to drop a 100 gal system
    Cowboys never quit!

Members

The trip to the springs was great, makes you feel like a new man after diving down a few times. Body aches go away. The first spring we hit was hidden, someone has put a rope swing on it since last year. So I climbed a tree and swung into the center of the hole, @!#$^#@ I lost my breath and barely swam to the side. You kinda have to ease into em. It's nice to be able to watch all the fish swim around. Swim to the bottom and feel the water rushing out the spring hole.

The whole time we sat there I was thinking what a great AP system, just pump water straight from the hole. It's so clear you can pick what fish you want to catch. I didn't get to check the PH of it tho. Maybe next time.

You're always thinking about business...that's why I can never take you anywhere ....got any goose bumps left....
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

I had great growth on plants, but no or small harvest for veggies.. A few tomato plants, grew big, no tomatoes. First time trying AP. My hopes are not down yet. About to start some winter crops..

Any ideas ?

The problem with tomatoes is that they don't fruit with too much water and nitrates. You sort of need to isolate them from the fish water a bit. Really long dry cycle time and not much concentration as far as fish go.

I put my tomatoes in pots and water them with fish water when they droop.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow